Computing Circulation in Pipe Flow using Velocity & Angular Direction

In summary: If so, then the vorticity will be zero at every point inside the loop, and the circulation will be Γ.
womfalcs3
I need to find the circulation for a flow in a pipe. I'm using the velocity in the angular direction (cylindrical coordinate system).

Am I right in thinking that an ideal vortex is one where there is no vorticity? That would mean there is no circulation. It's strange, because the velocity is written in terms of circulation, and its circulation is constant. So that can't be correct.

I'm trying to write the circulation in the forms of a surface integral and a line integral. The surface integral contains vorticity, which shows up as zero when I compute it. Say if the velocity is gamma/(2*pi*r)

gamma = circulation

The line integral of the circulation is: gamma = integral (velocity) ds

If I write ds = 2*pi*r, then I get gamma = v*2*pi*r, which just gives me gamma = gamma.

Any help in my thought process please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your velocity field in polar coordinates is: vθ = Γ/2πr, vr = 0, then you have an interesting case!

You are correct that the circulation around any circle centred on the origin is Γ (this is a parameter, so don't be confused when you get this for your circulation, that's the way it's meant to come out), but you are also correct in saying the vorticity at any of these points you are integrating over is zero:

vorticity = curl of velocity field = (1/r)[d(r.vθ)/dr - dr/dθ]

d(r.vθ)/dr = 0 because the r cancels, so vorticity is zero.

This may seem to be a problem, because we have a vector theorem which states that the circulation of a conservative vector field around a closed loop (your circulation) is equal to the integral of the curl of that field over the area bounded by that loop, so if there is NO vorticity inside the loop, how can there no non-zero circulation? Very valid question.

I'll put the answer in spoiler because it's quite an interesting resolution... clue: when you are integrating the vorticity over the circular area around which you find the circulation to be Γ, are you actually summing all the points?

The answer is NO... you have not summed the vorticity at the origin! The vorticity is zero for all positive r, but at the origin we have an undefined flow. The non-rigorous explanation is that the entirety of the vorticity that we require to be inside our closed circulation loop is concentrated at the origin, and no-where else!

This is why the circulation is the same for all radii- if there were a bit of vorticity at, say, (r=1,theta=0), then the circulation around a circle radius 0.5 would be smaller than that around one of radius 2, because the circulation must be the sum of all vorticities inside the loop. However, since we can take a loop around any positive radius, arbitrarily small, and still find that the circulation is Γ, we must have all the vorticity at the origin.

1. What is the purpose of computing circulation in pipe flow using velocity and angular direction?

The purpose of computing circulation in pipe flow is to determine the flow characteristics and performance of a fluid moving through a pipe. This information is important for understanding the efficiency and potential issues of a piping system.

2. How is circulation calculated in pipe flow?

Circulation in pipe flow is calculated by multiplying the average velocity of the fluid by the circumference of the pipe and the cosine of the angle between the velocity vector and the tangent to the pipe, at a specific point along the pipe.

3. What factors affect the circulation in pipe flow?

The main factors that affect circulation in pipe flow are the velocity of the fluid, the diameter and shape of the pipe, and the direction of the flow. Other factors include the viscosity and density of the fluid, and any external forces or obstacles that may influence the flow.

4. How does the concept of circulation relate to the conservation of energy in pipe flow?

In pipe flow, the concept of circulation is closely related to the conservation of energy. Circulation is a measure of the energy of the fluid in motion, and it is conserved as long as there are no external forces acting on the fluid. This is known as Bernoulli's principle, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

5. What are some practical applications of computing circulation in pipe flow using velocity and angular direction?

Computing circulation in pipe flow has various practical applications in engineering, such as designing and optimizing piping systems for efficient fluid transportation, predicting pressure drops and flow rates, and identifying potential problems or inefficiencies in a system. It is also used in the study of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, as well as in the development of renewable energy technologies such as wind turbines and water turbines.