1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing distance and time from a differential equation

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    hello,

having given 2 speeds v1 and v2 and the equation: k1*v'=k2-k3*v[itex]^{2}[/itex] how do i compute the distance traveled from v1 reaching v2 and the time needed. (k1,k2,k3 are constants).

i think i have to integrate to find the distance, but i just can't figure quite how to do it.

any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2
    You need to find a function for velocity v(t). You can integrate v(t) to find the distance. To obtain this function, you can solve your differential equation using separation of variables:

[itex]k_{1}\frac{dv}{dt}=k_{2}-k_{3}v^{2} \implies k_{1}\frac{dv}{k_{2}-k_{3}v^{2}} = dt[/itex]

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And you can use "partial fractions" to integrate that: [itex]k_1- k_2v^2= \left(\sqrt{k_1}- \sqrt{k_2}v\right)\left(\sqrt{k_1}+ \sqrt{k_2}\right)[/itex]

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    thanks for that, i managed to figure out the integral but sadly it does not converge given the constants that i have.
    thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook