Computing distance and time from a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the distance traveled and time needed given two speeds and a differential equation with constants. It is suggested to use integration to find the function for velocity and solve the differential equation using separation of variables and partial fractions. However, it is mentioned that the integral may not converge with the given constants.
vladgrigore
hello,

having given 2 speeds v1 and v2 and the equation: k1*v'=k2-k3*v[itex]^{2}[/itex] how do i compute the distance traveled from v1 reaching v2 and the time needed. (k1,k2,k3 are constants).

i think i have to integrate to find the distance, but i just can't figure quite how to do it.

any tips are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find a function for velocity v(t). You can integrate v(t) to find the distance. To obtain this function, you can solve your differential equation using separation of variables:

[itex]k_{1}\frac{dv}{dt}=k_{2}-k_{3}v^{2} \implies k_{1}\frac{dv}{k_{2}-k_{3}v^{2}} = dt[/itex]

And you can use "partial fractions" to integrate that: [itex]k_1- k_2v^2= \left(\sqrt{k_1}- \sqrt{k_2}v\right)\left(\sqrt{k_1}+ \sqrt{k_2}\right)[/itex]

thanks for that, i managed to figure out the integral but sadly it does not converge given the constants that i have.
thanks again

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the meaning and purpose of the given differential equation. This equation represents the relationship between velocity (v) and time (t) for an object moving at two different speeds (v1 and v2). The constants k1, k2, and k3 represent factors that affect this relationship.

To compute the distance traveled, we need to integrate the velocity function over the given time period. This will give us the total displacement of the object. However, since the equation involves a differential term (v'), you will need to use techniques such as separation of variables or substitution to solve the integral. It may also be helpful to plot the velocity function to visualize the behavior of the object over time.

As for computing the time needed, you can use the same approach by integrating the inverse of the velocity function. This will give you the time taken for the object to travel the desired distance. Again, use appropriate techniques to solve the integral and plot the function to gain a better understanding of the time behavior.

Overall, it is important to carefully analyze the given equation and use appropriate mathematical techniques to solve for distance and time. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or use computational software to accurately compute these values.

1. How do you use a differential equation to calculate distance and time?

In order to use a differential equation to calculate distance and time, you must first have a differential equation that represents the motion or change in position over time. This equation can then be integrated to find the position function, which can be used to determine the distance traveled at any given time.

2. What is the relationship between distance and time in a differential equation?

The relationship between distance and time in a differential equation is represented by the velocity function, which is the derivative of the position function. This means that the rate of change of distance (velocity) is equal to the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. Can a differential equation be used to calculate distance and time for any type of motion?

Yes, a differential equation can be used to calculate distance and time for any type of motion as long as the motion is continuous and can be represented by a mathematical equation. This includes simple linear motion, as well as more complex motions such as circular or projectile motion.

4. What is the difference between using a differential equation and using basic kinematic equations to calculate distance and time?

The main difference between using a differential equation and basic kinematic equations is that differential equations take into account the continuous change in motion over time, while kinematic equations only work for specific scenarios where acceleration is constant. Differential equations also allow for more complex motions to be analyzed, while kinematic equations are limited to simple linear motion.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using a differential equation to calculate distance and time?

One limitation of using a differential equation to calculate distance and time is that it requires advanced mathematical skills and knowledge. Additionally, the validity of the results obtained from a differential equation may be affected by factors such as the accuracy of initial conditions and external forces acting on the system. It may also be challenging to set up the correct differential equation for more complex motions.