Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMSOL - parameter dependent eigenvalue calculations

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am using COMSOL (RF modul) for some time now to calculate the eigenvalues (modes) of optical fibers. So far I changed all the params from hand in the software.

But it is getting anoying to change a parameter (the wavelength) and to recalculate if one wants to calculate for many parameters. Later one I want also to chage structural parameters of the microstructured fibers.

This means I have to use the skript or matlab to impelment loops and so, rigth?
    But I have problems getting started. I get always errors and I do not know how to change the postprocessing correspondingly (so that I get all the wavelegth dependent calculated modes).

Does anyone have a hit? Are there good tutorials? Has anyone a example m-file for s.th. like this?

Thanks!
    Best regards,
    DJ_GoodNews.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An m-file (or a comsol script model) would be the most general approach, but thinking about the easiest way have you thought whether the parametric solver would work for your problem?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Hello,

I was thinking about that, but the problem is that I have to calculate the Eigenvalues all the time. Is it possible that the parametric solver and the eigenvalue solver work together? How do I manage that (without a skript)?

Cheers!
    DJ_GoodNews.

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.......I think it might work straight up if you use the "parametric sweep" option for eigenvalue solver (under solve menu). Haven't used it for eigenvalue problems, but at least it's general enough to work for transient problems with the time dependent solver (so at least it's not solely for stationary problems).

6. Jan 8, 2009 #5

Hi,

thanks for answering. But I do not find this "parametric sweep" option in the solve menu...
    I use the Version COMSOL 3.4.0.250 is this a problem?

Cheers,
    DJ-GoodNews

7. Jan 9, 2009 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, could be. I'm not 100% sure but it may be one of the new features of release 3.5. Or at least don't remember seeing it earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?