1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentration of nitrogen oxide in air

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The relative compositions of the pollutants NO and NO2 in air are governed by the reaction

NO + 1/2 O2 ⇔NO2

For air containing 21-mol% O2 at 25C and 1.0133 bar, what is the concentration of NO in parts per million if the total concentration of both nitrogen oxides is 5 ppm? Note ppm is taken on a molar basis for gases.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For this problem I am not sure how to go about it. I am not 100% sure if ppm means moles/total moles. Also, I am not able to find out the concentration of NO2 at equilibrium, which is why I haven't been able to get the concentration of NO.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

My chem study is too long ago to be able to help you. But I think I'd be looking for some sort of equilibrium constant at that temp & pressure, to be able to relate the proportion of moles of NO2 to NO. Do you have that?

Have you tried a google search? Often you can find a worked example on which you can base your approach.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pose this in the chemistry section of PF.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4
    In this context, ppm means mole fraction times 1 million.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted