• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Concentration of nitrogen oxide in air

• Thread starter Woopydalan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The relative compositions of the pollutants NO and NO2 in air are governed by the reaction

NO + 1/2 O2 ⇔NO2

For air containing 21-mol% O2 at 25C and 1.0133 bar, what is the concentration of NO in parts per million if the total concentration of both nitrogen oxides is 5 ppm? Note ppm is taken on a molar basis for gases.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I am not sure how to go about it. I am not 100% sure if ppm means moles/total moles. Also, I am not able to find out the concentration of NO2 at equilibrium, which is why I haven't been able to get the concentration of NO.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My chem study is too long ago to be able to help you. But I think I'd be looking for some sort of equilibrium constant at that temp & pressure, to be able to relate the proportion of moles of NO2 to NO. Do you have that?

Have you tried a google search? Often you can find a worked example on which you can base your approach.

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Pose this in the chemistry section of PF.

Homework Statement

The relative compositions of the pollutants NO and NO2 in air are governed by the reaction

NO + 1/2 O2 ⇔NO2

For air containing 21-mol% O2 at 25C and 1.0133 bar, what is the concentration of NO in parts per million if the total concentration of both nitrogen oxides is 5 ppm? Note ppm is taken on a molar basis for gases.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I am not sure how to go about it. I am not 100% sure if ppm means moles/total moles. Also, I am not able to find out the concentration of NO2 at equilibrium, which is why I haven't been able to get the concentration of NO.
In this context, ppm means mole fraction times 1 million.