Concept Quilt Help (dealing with Force/Friction)

• Thread starter lilatlbabishort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to understand the concept quilt assignment given by their teacher. The assignment involves identifying and explaining 9 types of forces, including coefficient of friction, contact force, field force, force diagram, kinetic friction, net external force, normal force, static friction, and weight. The student is unsure if they should only provide formulas or also include examples. They also ask for clarification on what contact force, field force, and normal force refer to. The responder suggests providing formulas and descriptions for each force, and provides a brief explanation for normal force and field force.
lilatlbabishort

Homework Statement

Well pretty much i am just starting on my concept quilt and my teacher gave us 9 types of forces that we learn well studied and i need help to understand what she wants me to do.

these are the types:
Coefficient of Friction
contact f
Field F
Force Diagram
Kinetic Friction
Net external force
normal F
static friction
weight

Homework Equations

am i suppose to do only formulas? like "net external force F-ma" or ma i suppose to give an example?

what is contact F and Field F and Normal F?

Can anybodi give me examples i'll be realli grateful!

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempt to try to find examples yet it didn't work so i landed upon here :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say what your teacher wants, but I'd provide a formula that has that force and write a sentence describing each. Normal force refers to the force that objects apply as a reaction to some external force (i.e. the floor applies a normal force to me as a result of my weight). I'd also relate normal force to how it affects friction force. Field force may be related to magnetic and electric fields? Contact force is probably more obvious than you think.

Hello, it sounds like you are working on a concept quilt for your science class. A concept quilt is a visual representation of different concepts and ideas related to a particular topic. In this case, your topic is Force and Friction.

Based on the list of types of forces your teacher gave you, it seems like she wants you to understand and represent each type of force in your concept quilt. This could include both formulas and examples.

For example, the coefficient of friction is a measure of how difficult it is to slide one object over another. You could show this in your quilt by including a formula for calculating the coefficient of friction, as well as an example of how it is used in real life.

Contact F, Field F, and Normal F are all different types of forces that can be represented using arrows in a force diagram. Contact F refers to the force between two objects that are in direct contact with each other, such as a book resting on a table. Field F refers to forces that are exerted without direct contact, such as the force of gravity pulling objects towards the Earth. Normal F is the force that acts perpendicular to a surface, such as the force of a wall pushing against you when you lean on it.

To find examples of each type of force, you can think about everyday situations where you have experienced or observed these forces. For example, you could use a picture of a person pushing a heavy box to represent kinetic friction, or a picture of a magnet pulling a paperclip to represent field F.

I hope this helps you understand what your teacher is looking for in your concept quilt. Remember to be creative and have fun with it! Good luck.

1. What is a concept quilt?

A concept quilt is a teaching tool that uses the visual metaphor of a quilt to represent the various components and connections of a particular concept. It is often used in science education to help students understand complex concepts and their relationships.

2. How can a concept quilt help with understanding force and friction?

A concept quilt can help with understanding force and friction by visually representing the different types of forces, such as gravity and friction, and how they interact with objects. It can also show the relationship between force and motion, and how friction affects the movement of objects.

3. What are some key elements to include in a concept quilt for force and friction?

Some key elements to include in a concept quilt for force and friction are labeled diagrams of different types of forces, examples of how forces affect motion, and images or descriptions of real-life situations where friction plays a role.

4. How can a concept quilt be used in the classroom?

A concept quilt can be used in the classroom as a visual aid during lessons on force and friction. It can also be used as an interactive activity where students can add their own examples and explanations to the quilt, promoting critical thinking and understanding of the concepts.

5. Are there any online resources for creating a concept quilt on force and friction?

Yes, there are several online resources that provide templates and instructions for creating a concept quilt on force and friction. Some examples include the National Science Teachers Association website and the Science Buddies website.