1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Quilt Help (dealing with Force/Friction)

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well pretty much i am just starting on my concept quilt and my teacher gave us 9 types of forces that we learn well studied and i need help to understand what she wants me to do.

these are the types:
    Coefficient of Friction
    contact f
    Field F
    Force Diagram
    Kinetic Friction
    Net external force
    normal F
    static friction

2. Relevant equations

am i suppose to do only formulas? like "net external force F-ma" or ma i suppose to give an example?

what is contact F and Field F and Normal F?

Can anybodi give me examples i'll be realli grateful!

3. The attempt at a solution

i attempt to try to find examples yet it didn't work so i landed upon here :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    Hard to say what your teacher wants, but I'd provide a formula that has that force and write a sentence describing each. Normal force refers to the force that objects apply as a reaction to some external force (i.e. the floor applies a normal force to me as a result of my weight). I'd also relate normal force to how it affects friction force. Field force may be related to magnetic and electric fields? Contact force is probably more obvious than you think.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?