Conceptual Photoelectric Effect Question

In summary: So, answer D is correct.In summary, when a blue laser beam is incident on a metallic surface, increasing the frequency of the beam while keeping the intensity fixed leads to a decrease in the number of photons per second in the beam. This results in a decrease in the rate of ejected electrons and a decrease in the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons. This is because the energy of each photon is increased, but the overall energy of the beam remains constant. Therefore, the correct answer is D, where both the rate of ejected electrons and the maximum kinetic energy decrease.
trogtothedor

Homework Statement

"A blue laser beam is incident on a metallic surface, causing electrons to be ejected from the metal. If the frequency of the laser beam is increased while the intensity of the beam is held fixed,

a)the rate of ejected electrons will remain the same but the maximum kinetic energy will increase.

b)the rate of ejected electrons will increase and the maximum kinetic energy will increase.

c)the rate of ejected electrons will remain the same but the maximum kinetic energy will
decrease.

d)the rate of ejected electrons will decrease and the maximum kinetic energy will increase.

Homework Equations

Kmax = hf - E0

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at the correct answer by trial and error. The Kmax equation tells me that if the frequency of the beam increases, then the kinetic energy will increase. I also know that electron flow is proportional to the intensity of the light.

There is also a graph in my book that has the electron current vs frequency, which looks rather linear. The current is at 0 until the threshold frequency is reached, then it jumps to a consistent current for f > f-threshold.

So I chose answer A at first, given these statements. The electron flow related to intensity is steady, and from the graph, increases in frequency result in no change in current. Also, just from Kmax = hf - E0, with E0 constant, Kmax increases with an increase in f.

However, these are wrong. The correct answer according to MasteringPhysics is D, where both the current and maximum kinetic energy decrease. I do not understand why this is true. We did not really go over this section well in class and our book does a rather poor job explaining this area.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
trogtothedor said:
However, these are wrong. The correct answer according to MasteringPhysics is D, where both the current and maximum kinetic energy decrease. I do not understand why this is true. We did not really go over this section well in class and our book does a rather poor job explaining this area.
Hint: What determines the intensity of the beam? If the frequency is increased, what must change to keep the intensity fixed?

Would the wavelength have to change in order for the intensity to be the same?

If so, I still have no idea how that relates tot he correct answer.

trogtothedor said:
Would the wavelength have to change in order for the intensity to be the same?
No, that's not it. The wavelength and frequency are two sides of the same coin, so you can't change one without changing the other (at least in this context).

Hint: Intensity refers to the energy of the beam. Keeping the intensity fixed means that the total energy (per second) of the beam does not change.

Hint2: What does the laser beam consist of?

I guess I'm just not getting it. We also sort of breezed over light intensity, so I wasn't really sure of how they related.

The laser beam would consist of waves with photons clustered at each maxima of the wave.
I don't think I'm going to make the connection you're trying to steer me toward.

trogtothedor said:
The laser beam would consist of waves with photons clustered at each maxima of the wave.
You're getting warmer. The key insight is that the beam consists of photons. (The wave and photon are two different ways of describing the same beam. Do not picture the photons as clustered at the maxima of the wave.) What determines the energy of each photon?

The energy of each photon is given by Planck's constant multiplied by the frequency of the photon.

Again I must be making a conceptual mistake. That leads me to believe that since the intensity of the beam is constant, and that the energy of each individual photon is increasing in the beam since the frequency is increasing, then the energy added by the increase in frequency must be transferred to the electrons in the metal. I guess that isn't correct?

Constant intensity means the same overall energy per second.
But your photons get more energetic . . .

I'm still not making the connection. I've been rather off today, so things just aren't making sense right now.

Also the question I'm asking isn't part of the homework, so you anyone willing to help can tell me whatever I am missing and have no ethical dilemmas. I got the problem wrong and am just at a loss as to why it works the way that it does.

trogtothedor said:
The energy of each photon is given by Planck's constant multiplied by the frequency of the photon.
Good. And since the frequency is increasing, so is the energy of each individual photon. Since the energy per photon is greater, but the overall energy (per second) of the beam must remain fixed, what can you say about the number of photons per second in the beam? And how does that matter?

Ah yes thank you. I get it now. I was thinking frequency was proportional to the number of photons, such as photons per second. This clears things up!

I understand the idea of each photon transmitting its energy to an electron, so a decrease in the number of photons would lead to a decrease in the number of electrons receiving energy, thus slowing the current. At least I think that's the idea.

Thank you for your help!

trogtothedor said:
I understand the idea of each photon transmitting its energy to an electron, so a decrease in the number of photons would lead to a decrease in the number of electrons receiving energy, thus slowing the current. At least I think that's the idea.
Good! Fewer photons hitting the material means fewer electrons ejected. And since each photon now has greater energy, the maximum KE of the ejected electrons will be greater.

1. What is the conceptual photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. The conceptual photoelectric effect refers to the theoretical explanation for this phenomenon, which involves the interaction between photons and electrons.

2. How does the photoelectric effect support the particle theory of light?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as it demonstrates that light is composed of discrete packets of energy called photons. This is because the number of electrons emitted from a material is directly proportional to the intensity of the light, rather than its frequency.

3. What is the minimum frequency of light required to cause the photoelectric effect?

According to the photoelectric effect, there is a minimum frequency of light, known as the threshold frequency, that is required to cause electrons to be emitted from a material. This frequency is different for each material and is determined by the binding energy of the electrons in that material.

4. How does the work function relate to the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. In the photoelectric effect, the energy of a photon must be greater than or equal to the work function in order to eject an electron from the material.

5. What are some practical applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has numerous practical applications, including solar cells, photocells, and photoelectric sensors. It is also used in imaging technologies such as digital cameras and x-ray machines. Additionally, the photoelectric effect is the basis for the development of quantum mechanics and has led to a better understanding of the nature of light and matter.