Conceptual question about Lorentz transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and the scenario of a light pulse being sent out from an origin point in two reference frames, S and S', that are moving with a constant velocity relative to each other. The question is which point the light pulse reaches first in the S frame, with the Lorentz transformations seeming to indicate one result but the observer's intuition suggesting the opposite. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider the path of the light along the x' and y' axes in the S frame to determine the travel time for each point.
tnedde
I am a newcomer to relativity, currently studying the subject on my own, via Modern Physics by Bernstein et al. I have a question based on pgs 57-58 of the text.

Suppose that two reference frames S and S' are similarly oriented, and S' is moving with constant velocity v in the positive x-direction relative to S. Let their origins coincide at time t = 0, and suppose that at that moment, a light pulse is sent out from the origin. After time t', an observer in S' sees the light pulse hit both the point (ct', 0, 0) and the point (0, ct', 0), simultaneously. An observer in S also watches these events unfold, but they are not simultaneous to her. My question is: which happens first for her?

Let t_x be the time in S of the pulse reaching the point (ct', 0, 0) in S'; likewise let t_y be the time in S of the pulse reaching (0, ct', 0) in S'. The Lorentz transformations seem to indicate that t_x > t_y, but my intuition says it should be the other way around. My reasoning is thus: In the S frame, the S' frame appears Lorentz-contracted in the x-direction. Thus the point (ct', 0, 0) in S' should appear closer to the origin of S' than the point (0, ct', 0). But because the observer in S (and indeed, in any inertial reference frame) observes the speed of light to be the same in all directions, the pulse should reach the (seemingly closer) point on the x'-axis before it reaches the (seemingly farther) point on the y'-axis.

Can anyone clear this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
tnedde said:
My reasoning is thus: In the S frame, the S' frame appears Lorentz-contracted in the x-direction. Thus the point (ct', 0, 0) in S' should appear closer to the origin of S' than the point (0, ct', 0). But because the observer in S (and indeed, in any inertial reference frame) observes the speed of light to be the same in all directions, the pulse should reach the (seemingly closer) point on the x'-axis before it reaches the (seemingly farther) point on the y'-axis.
It's certainly true that the x' axis appears contracted in the S frame, but what you've forgotten is that S' is moving. Figure out the path that the light takes along the x' and y' axes as seen in S, then you can compute the travel time for each.

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in special relativity. They were developed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. How do Lorentz transformations differ from Galilean transformations?

Lorentz transformations take into account the constant speed of light in all inertial reference frames, while Galilean transformations assume that the speed of light is infinite. This means that Lorentz transformations are more accurate and applicable in situations involving high speeds.

3. What is the significance of Lorentz transformations in modern physics?

Lorentz transformations are a fundamental part of the theory of special relativity, which has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is essential for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds. They also play a crucial role in various areas of modern physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Lorentz transformations be visualized in any way?

While Lorentz transformations are primarily mathematical equations, they can be visualized using spacetime diagrams. These diagrams plot the position of an object in space against time, and can help illustrate the effects of Lorentz transformations on objects moving at different speeds.

5. Are Lorentz transformations only applicable to objects moving at the speed of light?

No, Lorentz transformations can be applied to any object moving at a constant velocity, regardless of its speed. However, their effects become more significant and noticeable as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.