Conceptual question about torque and balls

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of torque and how it is measured in relation to a ball. The question is whether the torque can be measured from the point where the ball and the ground touch each other instead of the center of the ball. The person asking the question has tried to calculate the torque using this method but is getting incorrect results and is looking for suggestions on how to solve the problem.
Niles
[SOLVED] Conceptual question about torque and balls

Homework Statement

Take a look at the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=147053

In this thread, the torque is measured from the center of the ball. Can I measure it from the point where the ball and the ground touch each other, so the torque is:

T = mgsin(a)*R = I*alfa?

I tried, and it gives me that a = (3/2)gsin(a), which is wrong - why?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, then again I get (2/3) rather than (3/2) - but still it doesn't work.

Any suggestions? I would really like to know, whether am I wrong or right about this.

No suggestions at all :)?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect the motion of a ball?

Torque can cause a ball to rotate or change its direction of motion. Depending on the direction and magnitude of the applied force, the ball may spin or curve as it moves.

3. Why is the shape of a ball important in understanding torque?

The shape of a ball can affect the distribution of mass, which in turn affects the torque produced by a given force. For example, a spherical ball will have a more balanced distribution of mass and therefore require less torque to rotate compared to an asymmetrical ball.

4. How does friction play a role in torque and ball motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can also affect torque. When a ball is rolling, friction from the surface can cause the ball to slow down or change direction, altering the torque on the ball.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This means that the applied force is in the opposite direction of the rotation or that the rotation is in the opposite direction of the applied force.