Concerning Elastic collisions and Kinetic energy

In summary, the two balls collide and gain kinetic energy. The final momentum of the system is equal to 3mvc.
neeraj93

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 2m is moving with a velocity Vo collides elastically and head-on with another ball of mass m at rest.
Find the minimum kinetic energy of the system.

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I personally do not understand what is expected of me here. The answer expected is
(2mVo2)/3.
But collision is elastic. And I have to find the Kinetic energy of the system. Won't the Kinetic energy of the system remain constant (mVo2) throughout?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it should be constant. I suspect the question meant something else, or the answer is wrong.

Yes, the kinetic energy remains constant, but a more close look tells you that, the 'initial' and 'final' kinetic energies are same, i.e. during a collision (for the split second when they are in contact), the kinetic energy is not conserved. The reason is as follows:

Consider a spring attached to the body initially at rest.
During collision, the spring is deformed, and at the same time, the body at rest gains speed, while the body which was moving initially is slowed down, also the spring gets compressed.
Now, a time will come, when both the bodies will travel with same velocity, and the compression in the spring would be max. or the energy stored in the spring will be max. Later on, the body with spring will gain much more speed than the other and speed away.

So, you can see that some part of the kinetic energy was stored in the spring as its potential energy. But, later it again converted to their kinetic energies.

Similarly, in bodies, there's some deformation (similar to spring, although for a short while), and as a result, some potential energy is gained(at the cost of kinetic energy).
Momentum can be conserved anytime, as the spring(or contact) force acts on both the bodies equally in opposite directions, and as a system, there's no external force.
For your answer,
Initial momentum = 2mv0
Final mometum(when they are traveling with common velocities (vc))
= 3mvc

So, vc = (2/3)vo

KE of system (sum of KEs of two mases) = (2/3)mvo2

Since you are an Indian (so am I)...I suggest you read up HC Verma part 1 Pg. 145 for better understanding...good luck...btw, u in 11th now, preparing for IIT, right?

Well, I am in 12th now, giving IIT this year...

Oh, It isn't there in Resnick, so no wonder. I, personally, don't prefer using Verma.. I'll have a look, but. thanks.
I'm in 12th too, btw.

oh...ok...all the best for your boards n all !

Thanks, good luck to you too!

Related to Concerning Elastic collisions and Kinetic energy

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How is kinetic energy related to elastic collisions?

Kinetic energy is directly related to elastic collisions because it is one of the conserved quantities in these types of collisions. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The mass and velocity of an object both directly affect its kinetic energy in an elastic collision. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy during an elastic collision?

No, in an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and it cannot be converted into other forms of energy. However, in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy may be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.