1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition for expectation value of an operator to depend on time

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in a 1D harmonic oscillator potential. Under what conditions will the
    expectation value of an operator Q (no explicit time dependence) depend on time if
    (i) the particle is initially in a momentum eigenstate?
    (ii) the particle is initially in an energy eigenstate?

2. Relevant equations

The first two parts of this question required me to show that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex]<Q> = [itex]\frac{i}{hbar}[/itex] <[H,Q]> + <[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex]Q>

Q is any hermitian operator. I did this fine and then derived the virial theorem from this, which is where the rate of change of the expectation for Q is zero. I'm assuming I'm supposed to use this equation to find the conditions, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea how to approach this at all.

I know that if the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian H then it will have no dependence on time, but how can I use this to answer the question?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2
    Please delete this post.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. Feb 3, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the help david, what a complete waste of both of our time. Maybe it's far too obvious for you? I have no idea whats wrong with my post, so it'd be great if you could enlighten me.

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think David meant he wanted his post deleted, not your thread.

6. Feb 3, 2014 #5
    Oh sorry, apologies if that's the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted