Condition for expectation value of an operator to depend on time

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions in which the expectation value of an operator Q will depend on time for a particle in a 1D harmonic oscillator potential. It is determined that if the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian, there will be no time dependence. The equation for the rate of change of the expectation value of Q is derived and used to find the conditions, but the speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem.
AlexCdeP

Homework Statement

A particle is in a 1D harmonic oscillator potential. Under what conditions will the
expectation value of an operator Q (no explicit time dependence) depend on time if
(i) the particle is initially in a momentum eigenstate?
(ii) the particle is initially in an energy eigenstate?

Homework Equations

The first two parts of this question required me to show that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex]<Q> = [itex]\frac{i}{hbar}[/itex] <[H,Q]> + <[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex]Q>

Q is any hermitian operator. I did this fine and then derived the virial theorem from this, which is where the rate of change of the expectation for Q is zero. I'm assuming I'm supposed to use this equation to find the conditions, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea how to approach this at all.

I know that if the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian H then it will have no dependence on time, but how can I use this to answer the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please delete this post.

Last edited:
davidchen9568 said:
Please delete this post.

Thanks for the help david, what a complete waste of both of our time. Maybe it's far too obvious for you? I have no idea what's wrong with my post, so it'd be great if you could enlighten me.

I think David meant he wanted his post deleted, not your thread.

Oh sorry, apologies if that's the case.

Related to Condition for expectation value of an operator to depend on time

What is the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is the average value of the results obtained when measuring a physical quantity.

What does it mean for the expectation value of an operator to depend on time?

When the expectation value of an operator depends on time, it means that the average value of the results obtained when measuring a physical quantity changes over time.

What is the condition for the expectation value of an operator to depend on time?

The condition for the expectation value of an operator to depend on time is when the operator does not commute with the Hamiltonian of the system, or when the Hamiltonian itself is time-dependent.

Can the expectation value of an operator always depend on time?

No, the expectation value of an operator may not always depend on time. It only depends on time if the condition mentioned above is met.

How does the time-dependence of the expectation value of an operator affect physical measurements?

The time-dependence of the expectation value of an operator can affect physical measurements by causing the average value of the results to change over time, making the measurements less predictable. This can also indicate that the system is evolving or changing in some way.