Condition to integrate a k-form

In summary, differential forms can be integrated on k-dimensional manifolds, where the dimension of the form can be less than or equal to the dimension of the manifold. This can be done through a variety of methods, such as integrating on a submanifold or along the fibers of a fiber bundle. However, not all k forms can be integrated on unorientable k manifolds.
davi2686
i only can integrate a k-form in a n-dimensional manifold, if k=n right?

Physics news on Phys.org
davi2686 said:
i only can integrate a k-form in a n-dimensional manifold, if k=n right?

I think you can integrate a k-form in n-dim if k<=n but its not guaranteed:

or some smooth functions fi on U.

The second idea leading to differential forms arises from the following question: given a differential 1-form α on U, when does there exist a function f on U such that α = df? The above expansion reduces this question to the search for a function f whose partial derivatives ∂f / ∂xi are equal to n given functions fi. For n > 1, such a function does not always exist: any smooth function f satisfies

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^i \, \partial x^j} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^j \, \partial x^i} ,[/itex]

so it will be impossible to find such an f unless

[itex]\frac{\partial f_j}{\partial x^i} - \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial x^j}=0.[/itex]

for all i and j.

from the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_form

You can integrate k-form on k dimensional manifold. You can have k-form on n dimensional manifold, where n>k. This can be integrated on k-dimensional submanifold of original manifold. For example you can integrate 2-form on a surface in three dimensional space.

thanks dudes

are the integral of a 2-form associate with a vector field the same thing to surface integral of that vector field?

The integral of a k form is defined on a smooth k chain. A smooth k chain is a formal algebraic sum of smooth oriented k simplices.
An oriented k manifold can be expressed as a smooth k chain so integration of k forms is defined. Not so for an unorientable k manifold. It can not be expressed as a smooth k chain.

Sometimes an k form can be integrated over lower dimensional manifolds. The result is a lower dimensional differential form. For example integration along the fibers of a fiber bundle reduces the dimension of the form by the dimension of the fiber.

1. What is a k-form?

A k-form is a type of differential form in multivariable calculus and differential geometry. It is a mathematical object that assigns a value to each point in a space, and can be used to model various physical quantities such as velocity, flow, or electric charge.

2. What does it mean to integrate a k-form?

Integrating a k-form involves finding the total value of the form over a given region or domain. This is similar to finding the area under a curve in one dimension, except that k-forms can represent higher-dimensional quantities.

3. What are the conditions for integrating a k-form?

The main condition for integrating a k-form is that the form must be continuous and differentiable over the given region of integration. Additionally, the region of integration must also be well-defined and finite.

4. How is integration of a k-form different from integration of a function?

Integration of a k-form involves summing or integrating over a multidimensional region, whereas integration of a function involves finding the area under a curve in one dimension. Additionally, k-forms can represent more complex and higher-dimensional quantities compared to functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating k-forms?

Integrating k-forms is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze various physical quantities such as velocity, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow. In computer graphics, k-forms are used to represent and manipulate 3D objects and animations.