Can a series of nonnegative numbers converge conditionally?

In summary, the question being debated is whether a series of nonnegative numbers can converge conditionally. One person argues that it is not possible, as nonnegative terms are the same as their absolute values. Another person disagrees and claims that there is a series with nonnegative terms whose absolute value diverges. However, this statement is irrelevant as the question specifically asks about conditional convergence, not absolute convergence.
happyg1
Hi, We're debating the question "Can a series of nonnegative numbers converge conditionally?"
I say no becuase if all of the terms are nonnegative then they are the same as their absolute values. My classmate disagrees and says that there is a series that has nonegative terms whose absolute value diverges. I'm really confused. He won't tell us what this divergent series is and I can't come up with a counterexample of my own. I keep staring at the definition of absolute convergence and getting more confused.
help me please.
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, your classmate is wrong.

Suppose a_n >= 0 and that [itex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} a_k[/itex] converges, and [itex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} |a_k|[/itex] diverges. But |a_n| = a_n, so that [itex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} |a_k| = \sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} a_k[/itex], so that that series both converges and diverges. Clearly nonsense.

My classmate disagrees and says that there is a series that has nonegative terms whose absolute value diverges.

Of course there is such a series (consider [itex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} |k|[/itex]), but that's totally irrelevant.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. That's exactly what I thought!

What is conditional convergence?

Conditional convergence is a concept in economics that refers to the idea that poorer countries tend to grow faster than richer countries, causing their economies to eventually converge. This is in contrast to absolute convergence, where all countries would grow at the same rate.

What are the main factors that contribute to conditional convergence?

The main factors that contribute to conditional convergence are technological progress, capital accumulation, and productivity growth. These factors allow poorer countries to catch up to richer countries in terms of economic growth.

What is the role of government policies in conditional convergence?

Government policies play a crucial role in conditional convergence. Policies that promote investment in education, infrastructure, and technology can help accelerate economic growth and facilitate the process of convergence. On the other hand, policies that hinder these factors can slow down convergence or even prevent it.

Can conditional convergence be observed in real-world economies?

Yes, conditional convergence has been observed in many real-world economies. For example, many East Asian countries have experienced rapid economic growth and have caught up to the developed countries in terms of GDP per capita. This is a clear example of conditional convergence in action.

Are there any limitations to the concept of conditional convergence?

While conditional convergence can explain patterns of economic growth in many countries, it does not account for all factors that contribute to economic development. Other factors such as natural resources, political stability, and trade policies may also play a role in a country's economic growth. Additionally, the concept of conditional convergence has been criticized for oversimplifying complex economic processes and ignoring structural differences between countries.