Conditions for curvature singularity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a vanishing metric determinant and the existence of a curvature singularity. It is concluded that a vanishing metric determinant is neither necessary nor sufficient for a curvature singularity to exist. The conversation also touches on the minimal conditions for proving a curvature singularity, with the definition being geodesic incompleteness. Further information on this topic can be found in Carroll's book on general relativity.
FunkyDwarf
Hi All,

I was wondering if it is correct to say that a vanishing metric determinant is a necessary (but probably not sufficient) condition for a curvature singularity to exist at some point(s), or is one forced to construct the full Kretschmann scalar?

Cheers!
FD

Physics news on Phys.org
It's neither necessary nor sufficient.

It can't be necessary, because if there is a curvature singularity, then the singularity isn't even considered to be a point in the spacetime. Therefore there is no way to talk about the metric's determinant at that "point." The equivalence principle guarantees that even at points that lie at an arbitrarily small affine distance from the singularity, the metric's determinant is perfectly normal.

It's not sufficient, because for example it's possible to have a flat spacetime and have its metric determinant become degenerate at any arbitrarily chosen point, if you make a perverse choice of coordinates. Here's an example: http://lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch06/ch06.html#Section6.4

If the Kretschmann scalar blows up, that's sufficient but not necessary to prove a curvature singularity.

The standard formulation of GR can't even describe changes of signature, although some others, like the Ashtekar formulation, apparently can. It's not obvious to me that this can have any physical significance, because it's not obvious to me that the signature is measurable. E.g., if the signature was not +--- but ---- somewhere, then there would be no timelike dimension there, but I don't think you can measure anything if there's no time. Measurement requires collecting and processing information, so that at some later time you have more information than you had before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bcrowell, thanks for the reply/info.

What would then be the minimal condition to prove a curvature singularity (as opposed ofc to a coordinate singularity).

FunkyDwarf said:
Hi bcrowell, thanks for the reply/info.

What would then be the minimal condition to prove a curvature singularity (as opposed ofc to a coordinate singularity).

If you're asking for a technique for testing for a singularity, I don't think there's any simple answer that works in all cases. Carroll has a good discussion of this, IIRC. There is a free online version of his book.

If you're asking for a definition, then I think the standard definition is that a singularity exists when you have geodesic incompleteness, meaning that some geodesics can't be extended past a certain finite affine parameter.

Ok, I have his notes somewhere and can have a dig around, thanks!

1. What are conditions for curvature singularity?

The conditions for curvature singularity refer to the factors that determine whether a singularity, or a point of infinite curvature, exists in a particular spacetime. These conditions include the strength and direction of gravitational fields, the presence of matter and energy, and the overall geometry of the spacetime.

2. How are curvature singularities formed?

Curvature singularities are formed when the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite. This can occur due to the extreme warping of spacetime by a massive object, such as a black hole, or in the early stages of the universe during the Big Bang.

3. Can curvature singularities be avoided?

In some cases, it is possible to avoid curvature singularities by altering the conditions of the spacetime. For example, it is theorized that a wormhole or "shortcut" through spacetime could potentially avoid a singularity. However, these solutions are purely hypothetical and have not been observed in nature.

4. What happens at a curvature singularity?

At a curvature singularity, the laws of physics as we know them break down. This means that our current understanding of the universe cannot explain what happens at a singularity. It is believed that the singularity represents a breakdown of spacetime itself.

5. Are curvature singularities dangerous?

Curvature singularities are not inherently dangerous, as they are simply points of infinite curvature in spacetime. However, they are often associated with extreme phenomena, such as black holes, which can pose a danger to surrounding matter and energy. Additionally, the extreme conditions at a singularity make it impossible for anything to escape, making it a "point of no return."