1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Conditions of collapsing a container

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have some sort of problem which I would like to explore. We have yet to touch it in the class in the university, but it seemed like a crazy idea when i stumbled upon it.

Let there be a very long pipe with an inner radius of 1.08 meters and outer radius of 1.1 meters. The material of the pipe is steel. Inside the pipe there is 1 millibar of pressure while on the outside 1 bar of pressure. Would the container withstand the pressure difference? If not, what would it take to reinforce the steel to as such that it would withstand this pressure difference?

If calculations and equations can be provided, that'd be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Dark one, :welcome:

Planning something like this ?

Lots of material on http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-93/issue-15/in-this-issue/production/equations-shorten-pipe-collapse-calculations.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jul 25, 2016 #3
    Essentially something like that, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted