Conditions of collapsing a container

The pressure difference between the inside and outside of the pipe would be too great for the steel to withstand without reinforcement. Calculations and equations would be necessary to determine the exact reinforcement needed.
DarkBabylon
Hello, I have some sort of problem which I would like to explore. We have yet to touch it in the class in the university, but it seemed like a crazy idea when i stumbled upon it.

Let there be a very long pipe with an inner radius of 1.08 meters and outer radius of 1.1 meters. The material of the pipe is steel. Inside the pipe there is 1 millibar of pressure while on the outside 1 bar of pressure. Would the container withstand the pressure difference? If not, what would it take to reinforce the steel to as such that it would withstand this pressure difference?

If calculations and equations can be provided, that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Dark one, :welcome:

Planning something like this ?

Lots of material on http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-93/issue-15/in-this-issue/production/equations-shorten-pipe-collapse-calculations.html

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU said:
Hello Dark one, :welcome:

Planning something like this ?
Essentially something like that, yes.

1. What factors contribute to a container collapsing?

There are several factors that can contribute to a container collapsing, such as the weight and distribution of the contents inside, the structural integrity of the container, and external forces such as temperature changes or pressure.

2. How can I prevent a container from collapsing?

To prevent a container from collapsing, it is important to properly distribute the weight of the contents inside, use a container with a suitable weight capacity, and ensure the container is made of sturdy materials. Proper handling and storage of the container can also help prevent collapse.

3. Can a container collapse due to changes in temperature?

Yes, extreme temperature changes can cause a container to collapse. When a container is exposed to high temperatures, the air inside expands, creating pressure that can cause the container to collapse. Similarly, when a container is exposed to very low temperatures, the air inside contracts, creating a vacuum that can also cause collapse.

4. What should I do if I suspect a container is at risk of collapsing?

If you suspect a container is at risk of collapsing, it is important to immediately remove any contents that may be causing excessive weight or uneven distribution. You should also inspect the container for any visible damage and consider reinforcing it with additional support or transferring the contents to a sturdier container.

5. Are there regulations or standards for preventing container collapse?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) that provide guidelines and testing methods for packaging and containers to ensure they can withstand various conditions without collapsing.