1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductor with a charge problem

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

STP

Hey everyone, first post and having an issue thinking about a simple problem. I'm into chemistry so I struggle to get all of these physics ideas down correctly.

The problem is about a conductor with a neutral surface. The conductor has a cavity with a point charge of +P inside of it. A charged rod transfer -q to the conductor.

My issue is finding the charge on the inner wall of the conductor's cavity. My book doesn't describe a transfer of this sort and just says the inner wall of the cavity has to cancel out the point charge.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Surround the cavity by a Gaussian surface S lying inside the conductor. Inside a conductor, the field is always zero. The closed surface integral over S, integral E.da = 0, since E = 0 at every point. What do you think the induced charge on the cavity wall should be using Gauss’ law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?