Calculating Volume and Side Length of a Cut Cone - Is This Right

In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving a cone-shaped container with a top radius of 10cm and bottom radius of 20cm, with a volume of 500cm^{3}. The question was about finding the length of the slanted side of the container. The solution involved drawing the shape, writing an equation for the volume, solving for the height, and using Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of the slanted side. There was also mention of a formula for finding the volume of the "flower pot" section of the container.
Ryoukomaru
This is a problem I had in a test and almost everyone got different answers for it, we discussed and well, I spotted mistakes in their solutions so I think mine is right but I wanted to check here and also ask if there is an easier/faster way to do it.

There is a container that is similar to the bottom part of a cone which is cut into half. Top radius is [tex]10cm[/tex] and bottom is [tex]20cm[/tex]. And the volume of this container is [tex]500cm^{3}[/tex]. What is the length of the slanted side ?

So what I did was, first I drew this. ;P (See attachment)

Then what I did was to write an equation for [tex]V_2[/tex] in terms of [tex]V_1[/tex] and [tex]V_T[/tex]

By solving the equation for height, I got [tex]h=1.5915[/tex]
Then I used Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of the slanted side and it comes to:
[tex]10^2+2h^2=s^2=>100+3.183^2=s^2=> s=10.4944[/tex]

Is this correct ? And is there a formula to find the volume of this shape ?

Attachments

• cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
The volume of the "flower pot" section is

[tex]V = \frac {\pi h}{3} (R^2 + rR + r^2)[/tex]

where R is the large radius, r is the small radius and h is the same as your x. It's simply the difference between the volume of the large cone and the small cone.

I would like to commend you for your approach in solving this problem. It shows critical thinking and attention to detail, which are important skills in the field of science. Your solution seems to be correct, and I do not see any mistakes in your calculations. However, to ensure accuracy, it would be best to double check your work and calculations.

As for an easier or faster way to solve this problem, there are a few possible approaches. One way is to use the formula for the volume of a cone, V = (1/3)πr^2h, and plug in the given values to solve for the height. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the slanted side length. Another approach is to use the formula for the volume of a frustum (a shape formed by cutting the top off of a cone), V = (1/3)πh(R^2 + Rr + r^2), where R is the larger radius and r is the smaller radius. By setting this formula equal to the given volume of 500cm^3 and solving for h, you can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the slanted side length. Ultimately, the method you choose will depend on your personal preference and comfort with different formulas.

In terms of a formula for the volume of this specific shape, you can use the formula for a frustum as mentioned above. However, if you are looking for a more general formula for a cut cone, it may not exist as the shape can vary depending on the angle and location of the cut. It would be best to use the appropriate formula for the specific shape you are working with.

In conclusion, your solution appears to be correct and there are various methods to solve this problem. Keep up the good work in applying mathematical concepts to real-world situations!

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cut cone?

To calculate the volume of a cut cone, you can use the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone. This formula is the same as the formula for the volume of a full cone, but you would use the height of the cut cone instead of the full height.

2. What is the formula for finding the side length of a cut cone?

The formula for finding the side length of a cut cone is l = √(r² + h²), where l is the side length, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cut cone. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, where the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the volume and side length of any cut cone?

Yes, the formulas for calculating the volume and side length of a cut cone are universal and can be used for any cut cone, regardless of its shape or size. As long as you have the appropriate measurements for the radius and height, you can use these formulas to accurately calculate the volume and side length of a cut cone.

4. How do you know if your calculations for volume and side length of a cut cone are correct?

To ensure that your calculations are correct, you can double-check your work using a different method. For example, you can calculate the volume and side length of a cut cone using a different formula or by using a calculator. You can also compare your results with those of others or consult a math expert for confirmation.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the volume and side length of a cut cone?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for calculating the volume and side length of a cut cone. For example, these calculations are often used in construction and engineering to determine the amount of material needed for a cone-shaped structure. They can also be used in manufacturing to design and produce cone-shaped objects, such as traffic cones or ice cream cones. Additionally, these calculations are essential in fields such as physics and fluid mechanics, where cone-shaped objects are used to study and understand various phenomena.