1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cone area

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    This is a problem I had in a test and almost everyone got different answers for it, we discussed and well, I spotted mistakes in their solutions so I think mine is right but I wanted to check here and also ask if there is an easier/faster way to do it.

There is a container that is similar to the bottom part of a cone which is cut into half. Top radius is [tex]10cm[/tex] and bottom is [tex]20cm[/tex]. And the volume of this container is [tex]500cm^{3}[/tex]. What is the length of the slanted side ?

So what I did was, first I drew this. ;P (See attachment)

Then what I did was to write an equation for [tex]V_2[/tex] in terms of [tex]V_1[/tex] and [tex]V_T[/tex]

By solving the equation for height, I got [tex]h=1.5915[/tex]
    Then I used Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of the slanted side and it comes to:
    [tex]10^2+2h^2=s^2=>100+3.183^2=s^2=> s=10.4944[/tex]

Is this correct ? And is there a formula to find the volume of this shape ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volume of the "flower pot" section is

[tex]V = \frac {\pi h}{3} (R^2 + rR + r^2)[/tex]

where R is the large radius, r is the small radius and h is the same as your x. It's simply the difference between the volume of the large cone and the small cone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?