Confused about law of total variance

In summary, the question asks for the variance of the lottery amount (X) given the three possible states (A, B, C) and the die result. The direct way to calculate this is to use the probabilities associated with each state, but the law of total variance can be used to get a different result.
Probabilist1
Ok, so I got this question on an exam some time ago and I still don't understand why I didn't get it (I can't remember the exact question, but this is very similar):

"A lottery winning amount is determined in the following manner: first a die is thrown. If the result is 1 or 2, the lottery machine is set to state A. If the result is 3 or 4, the machine is set to state B. If it is 5 or 6, the machine is set to C. Now in state A, the lottery amount is 500 with probability 0.2, 1000 with probability 0.5, 2000 with probability 0.3. In state B, the amount is 500 with probability 0.3, 1000 with probability 0.4, 2000 with probability 0.3. In state C, the amount is 500 with pr. 0.1, 1000 with pr. 0.3, 2000 with pr. 0.6. Determine the *variance* of the amount" (yes, it's a long question...)

Doing this directly (i.e. using probabilities (1/3)(0.2+0.3+0.1) for 500, etc.) I get E(amount)=1300 and Var(amount)=360000

However, if I try using the law of total variance by conditioning on the state, I get a different result. Letting S represent the lottery state and X the amount,

E(X|S)=1200 if S=A, 1150 if S=B, 1550 if S=C
Var(X|S)=310000 if S=A, 352500 if S=B, 322500 if S=C
E(E(X|S))=1300
Var(E(X|S))=31666.66
E(Var(X|S))=328166.66

From the law of total variance, we should have Var(X)=E(Var(X|S))+Var(E(X|S)) right? But that gives 31666.66+328166.66=359833.33 which is not 360000... am I doing a stupid calculation mistake somewhere??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Probabilist, (Wave)

Welcome to MHB!

I get the same thing when doing this the "direct way", as you put it. :)

Can you show your work for how you calculated Var(X|S)?

Oops... I was sure I double-checked all my work, but it seems I made a calculation error when calculating E(Var(X|S)), correct value is 328333.33 which works out. Very sorry, I don't make that kind of mistake usually.

1. What is the law of total variance?

The law of total variance is a statistical principle that states the total variance of a random variable can be decomposed into two parts: the variance of its conditional mean and the mean of its conditional variance. In simpler terms, it explains how the variability of a random variable can be explained by both its average value and how much it deviates from that average.

2. How is the law of total variance calculated?

The law of total variance is calculated by taking the sum of the conditional variances of a random variable and the conditional means of the squared deviations from those conditional means. This can be represented by the formula Var(X) = E[Var(X|Y)] + Var(E[X|Y]) where Var(X) is the total variance of X, E[Var(X|Y)] is the mean of the conditional variances, and Var(E[X|Y]) is the variance of the conditional means.

3. What is the purpose of the law of total variance?

The purpose of the law of total variance is to help explain the overall variability of a random variable by breaking it down into its individual components. This can be useful in understanding the sources of variation within a dataset and can also be used in statistical modeling and analysis.

4. Can the law of total variance be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the law of total variance can be applied to any type of data as long as it follows a random variable distribution. This includes both discrete and continuous data, as well as both univariate and multivariate data.

5. How is the law of total variance related to the law of total expectation?

The law of total variance and the law of total expectation are closely related principles. While the law of total variance explains the variability of a random variable, the law of total expectation explains the expected value of a random variable. In fact, the law of total variance can be derived from the law of total expectation by taking the expected value of both sides of the formula Var(X) = E[Var(X|Y)] + Var(E[X|Y]).