Why Do We Use Ramp Length Instead of Height in Rolling Sphere Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the final linear velocity of a sphere rolling down a ramp at a 30 degree angle. Two different methods are mentioned, one using the formula acm=(g*sin(θ))/(1+β) and the other using the equation V^2=Vo^2+2*a*Δx. The question is raised about which Δx to use, and it is clarified that the length of the ramp should be used due to the direction of the force causing acceleration. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help received.
jcruise322

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius .06 m and mass .5 kg rolls down a ramp that is angled 30 degrees down the incline. It starts rolling from a height of 7 feet and does not slip

What is its final linear velocity?
Now, I used mgh=translational +rotational KE and found that the final velocity was 9.9, but I didn't want to do that.

I wanted to use the formula acm=(g*sinθ)/(1+β) where β is the coefficient in front of mr^2 (for a sphere, .4 or 2/5).
So, Vf^2=vo^2+2*a*Δx.

My question is, which Δx do I use? I initially used the height and my answer was wrong...I was supposed to use the ramp, which by trig is 14 meters.

Homework Equations

acm=(g*sin(θ))/(1+β)
KE and PE equations.
V^2=Vo^2+2*a*Δx[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer. I just want to know why the length of the ramp is used for v^2=vo^2+2adelta x equation.

Thanks, this should only take a moment. Appreciate any input guys! :) :)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the length of the ramp because the force you used to obtain the acceleration is in the downramp direction (g*sinθ), not vertical.

Likes jcruise322
Aha, that is what I suspected. By the way Haruspex, you have commented on all of the posts that I have made on physics forums so far. Appreciate the help!​

jcruise322 said:
Aha, that is what I suspected. By the way Haruspex, you have commented on all of the posts that I have made on physics forums so far. Appreciate the help!​
Maybe our timezones match.

1. What is the "rolling sphere problem"?

The rolling sphere problem is a physics problem that involves a sphere rolling down an incline and the various forces acting upon it, such as gravity, friction, and rotational motion.

2. How do you solve the rolling sphere problem?

To solve the rolling sphere problem, you must use equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. You also need to consider the specific variables of the problem, such as the angle of the incline and the mass and radius of the sphere.

3. What are the key assumptions made when solving the rolling sphere problem?

The key assumptions made when solving the rolling sphere problem include the absence of air resistance, a uniform and smooth surface for the sphere to roll on, and a perfectly spherical and rigid sphere.

4. Can the rolling sphere problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the rolling sphere problem can be applied to real-life situations, such as a ball rolling down a hill or a car driving down a curved road. However, in these situations, there may be additional factors to consider, such as air resistance and the elasticity of the rolling object.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the rolling sphere problem?

Some common misconceptions about the rolling sphere problem include assuming that the sphere will always roll at a constant speed and that the sphere will reach the bottom of the incline in the same amount of time regardless of the angle of the incline. In reality, the speed and time of the sphere's descent will vary depending on the angle and other factors.