Confused between the units of a constant and the units of the integral boundary conditions

Another
Homework Statement
Integrate an exponential function with a constant (1/cm) from 0.8 um to 1.8 um.
Relevant Equations
int A exp(-(B/(x+x^2+x^3)))
I want to integrate this function

## \int_{0.8um}^{1.8um} A e^{B/E(x)} \, dx ##

But A has a unit as ## 1/cm ##. Should I change ##1/cm## to ##1/um## by multiplying ##1/10^{4}##

For this function, I decided to integrate using the online numerical integral, This side .

I am just curious that the unit of the constants must be the same as boundary condition for integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
Homework Statement: Integrate an exponential function with a constant (1/cm) from 0.8 um to 1.8 um.
Relevant Equations: int A exp(-(B/(x+x^2+x^3)))

But A has a unit as ## 1/cm ##. Should I change ##1/cm## to ##1/um## by multiplying ##1/10^{4}##

For this function, I decided to integrate using the online numerical integral, This side .

I am just curious that the unit of the constants must be the same as boundary condition for integration.
The integral can only have one value. And that must coincide with the calculation where the units match.

Likes Gavran
PeroK said:
The integral can only have one value. And that must coincide with the calculation where the units match.
So, Do I have to change the unit of a constant to be the same?
Thankyou very much.

Another said:
Homework Statement: Integrate an exponential function with a constant (1/cm) from 0.8 um to 1.8 um.
Relevant Equations: int A exp(-(B/(x+x^2+x^3)))

If the function ##E(x)## is ##E(x) = x + x^2 + x^3##, you need to fix that first. You clearly can't add quantities with different dimensions and units, i.e., ##\rm{m, m^2, and\ m^3}##.

Another said:
You don't technically have to change it, but at the very least you have to keep track of the units as you should always do.

On the one hand, you could have an answer that has units of ##\rm \mu m/cm## but most likely you're expected to give a unitless answer. It's kind of like answering the question "if you're traveling 5 m/s, what distance will you travel in 1 min?" by saying "5 m min/s" whereas the expected and useful answer is "300 m". On the other hand, I can imagine scenarios where the units ##\rm \mu m/cm## might make more sense semantically.

vela said:
If the function ##E(x)## is ##E(x) = x + x^2 + x^3##, you need to fix that first. You clearly can't add quantities with different dimensions and units, i.e., ##\rm{m, m^2, and\ m^3}##.
In ##E(x) = x + x^2 + x^3## we are not told the unit for ##x##; this is missing critical information.

For illustration, suppose that ##E(x)## is potential energy in joules as a function of distance ##x## is metres. Then:
##E(x) = x + x^2 + x^3##
is valid and is in effect shorthand for
##E(x) = Ax + Bx^2 + Cx^3##
where the 3 constants are ##A = 1J/m, B = 1J/m^2 ## and ##C = 1J/m^3##.
The constants and their units are 'hidden' because the numerical value of each constant happens to be 1.

If we wish to change so that ##x## is in cm, the modified equation would simply be:
##E(x) = \frac x{100} + (\frac x{100})^2 + (\frac x{100})^3##

Ideally the units should be indicated in the function definition, e.g.
##E(x/m) = x + x^2 + x^3## and
##E(x/cm) = \frac x{100} + (\frac x{100})^2 + (\frac x{100})^3##

Likes Another
vela said:
If the function ##E(x)## is ##E(x) = x + x^2 + x^3##, you need to fix that first. You clearly can't add quantities with different dimensions and units, i.e., ##\rm{m, m^2, and\ m^3}##.You don't technically have to change it, but at the very least you have to keep track of the units as you should always do.

On the one hand, you could have an answer that has units of ##\rm \mu m/cm## but most likely you're expected to give a unitless answer. It's kind of like answering the question "if you're traveling 5 m/s, what distance will you travel in 1 min?" by saying "5 m min/s" whereas the expected and useful answer is "300 m". On the other hand, I can imagine scenarios where the units ##\rm \mu m/cm## might make more sense semantically.
Thank you for answering, I know that there are coefficients on the front of the polynomials but I just typed the very simple form of the equation by ignoring these coefficients (make it very easy to read and I'd like to focus on A and the unit of it) . Finally, the completely correct form of this equation will be calculated in the program by myself, and the unit of E(x) will be canceled by the unit of B.

Thank you very much for the wonderful advice.

1. What are the units of a constant in a mathematical equation?

The units of a constant in a mathematical equation are determined by the units of the quantities involved in the equation. The constant itself does not have any specific units, but the units of the constant are derived from the units of the variables in the equation.

2. What are the units of integral boundary conditions?

The units of integral boundary conditions depend on the specific physical quantity being integrated over the boundary. The units of the integral boundary conditions are determined by the units of the physical quantity being integrated and the dimensions of the boundary over which the integration is performed.

3. How do I differentiate between the units of a constant and the units of integral boundary conditions?

To differentiate between the units of a constant and the units of integral boundary conditions, you need to carefully consider the physical meaning of each term in the equation. The units of a constant are independent of the integral boundary conditions, while the units of the integral boundary conditions are determined by the specific physical quantity being integrated.

4. Can the units of a constant and the units of integral boundary conditions be the same?

It is possible for the units of a constant and the units of integral boundary conditions to be the same in certain situations. This can occur when the physical quantities involved in the equation have compatible units that allow for consistent unit conversions between the constant and the integral boundary conditions.

5. How can I ensure consistency in units when dealing with constants and integral boundary conditions?

To ensure consistency in units when dealing with constants and integral boundary conditions, it is important to carefully track the units of each term in the equation and perform unit conversions as needed. Additionally, double-checking the units of the final result can help identify any inconsistencies that may have arisen during the calculations.