Confused by this: What does 10^10^79 mean?

In summary: Different people use different letters in the mnemonic.In summary, the conversation discusses the notation 10^10^79, which is interpreted as 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 79. The lack of brackets creates ambiguity, but it is likely meant to be 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 79. The conversation also mentions Knuth arrow notation and Python's use of ** for exponentiation.
Simon Peach
I was reading a book on black holes by Kip Thorne the other day, well weeks really, and I came across this in one of the footnotes 10^10^79 (10 to the power of 10 to the power of 79) And I really don't know what it means. Does it just mean what it says? If it does can you raise a power to a power?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Simon Peach said:
I was reading a book on black holes by Kip Thorne the other day, well weeks really, and I came across this in one of the footnotes 10^10^79 (10 to the power of 10 to the power of 79) And I really don't know what it means. Does it just mean what it says? If it does can you raise a power to a power?
It is possible, although a bit sloppy, because ##2^{(3^2)} = 2^9 = 512 \neq (2^3)^2 = 8^2 = 64##, so there should better be brackets to avoid ambiguity. Without them, it probably means ##10^{10^{79}}=10^{(10^{79})}## a one with ##10^{79}## zeroes for otherwise one would have written ##10^{790}## instead.

fresh_42 said:
It is possible, although a bit sloppy, because ##2^{(3^2)} = 2^9 = 512 \neq (2^3)^2 = 8^2 = 64##, so there should better be brackets to avoid ambiguity. Without them, it probably means ##10^{10^{79}}=10^{(10^{79})}## a one with ##10^{79}## zeroes for otherwise one would have written ##10^{790}## instead.
Thanks fresh_42, I sort of thought that but it's good to have it confirmed by someone that knows a bit more maths than I do

With regard to operators, maybe someday mathematicians will get their acts together as well as the people who design programming languages. All of the languages based on C have tables of precedence and associativity, which enables one to unequivocally state how some expression will be evaluated. Although C, C++, C#, and Java don't have an exponentiation operator, Python does have such an operator -- ** -- the same as Fortran uses.

The Python docs say that this operator associates right-to-left, which means that 2 ** 3 ** 3 is the same as if written as 2 ** (3 ** 3). Most of the other operators associate left-to-right. Using a more mathematical notation, this would be ##2^{3^{3}}##, which if evaluated using the Python rules would be the same as if written ##2^{(3^3)}##.

We have PEDMAS, (or BEDMAS/BODMAS, for those who can't distinguish between parentheses, braces, brackets, and angle brackets) which gives the relative precedence of the different categories, with parentheses at the highest level, but this convention doesn't also provide information about how an expression with more than two operands associates, or groups.

Related to Confused by this: What does 10^10^79 mean?

1. What does 10^10^79 mean?

10^10^79 is a mathematical notation for a very large number. It means 10 raised to the power of 10 raised to the power of 79, or 10 followed by 10^79 zeros.

2. How do you read and interpret 10^10^79?

To read and interpret 10^10^79, you can say "10 to the power of 10 to the power of 79" or "10 raised to the power of 10 raised to the power of 79". This number is so large that it is difficult to conceptualize, but it is essentially 10 followed by 10^79 zeros.

3. How is 10^10^79 different from 10^79?

10^10^79 is significantly larger than 10^79. In fact, 10^10^79 is equal to 10^10^10^79, which is an incomprehensibly large number. On the other hand, 10^79 is a much smaller number, but still incredibly large. It is equal to 10 followed by 79 zeros.

4. What is the significance of using exponents in this notation?

Exponents are used in this notation to represent extremely large numbers in a more compact form. Using exponents helps to avoid writing out an excessive number of zeros, which can be cumbersome and difficult to comprehend.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of 10^10^79?

10^10^79 is a number that is beyond our current understanding and use in real-life applications. However, it could potentially be used to represent the number of particles in the universe or the number of possible outcomes in a complex system. In general, this notation is more commonly used in theoretical mathematics and physics rather than in practical applications.