Confused on these two derivative problems

In summary: So, in the equation above, the ln(3) comes down as x^2+1 is broken into its derivative and the 3^(x^2+1) stays on the side.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

a. k(t) = (sqrt(t+1))/(2t+1)b. y = (3^(x^2+1))(ln(2))

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, I know I use the quotient rule for derivatives (L)(DH)-(H)(DL)/((L)^2)
which would go to: ((2t+1)(1/(2sqrt(t+1)) - (sqrt(t+1))(2))/((2t+1)^2) I get stuck here, maybe it's the algebra but I don't know how to factor all this down to get a solution.

For the second problem I was able to get the answer online but I don't understand the answer.
It goes:

y = (3^(x^2+1))(ln(2))
refine y = e^((ln(3))(x^2+1)) ln(2)
y' = [2xln(3)ln(2)]3^(x^2+1)

I don't understand where the e or ln(3) comes from. Or why it's put as an exponent. Also, why does the ln(2) stay stationary? Then e disappears as x^2+1 is broken into its derivative, the ln(3) comes down while 3^(x^2+1) is still put on the side. Could someone please explain this process works.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:
For the first problem, I know I use the quotient rule for derivatives (L)(DH)-(H)(DL)/((L)^2)
which would go to: ((2t+1)(1/(2sqrt(t+1)) - (sqrt(t+1))(2))/((2t+1)^2) I get stuck here, maybe it's the algebra but I don't know how to factor all this down to get a solution.
Take the LCM - it won't be simplified too much - but that's the way it's going to stay .
Niaboc67 said:
I don't understand where the e or ln(3) comes from. Or why it's put as an exponent.
This is just the manipulation of the original question in order to convert into terms which you can solve by chain rule . Do you know basic logarithmic properties ?
Niaboc67 said:
Also, why does the ln(2) stay stationary?
You're only raising 3x2+1 to e .
Niaboc67 said:
Then e disappears as x^2+1 is broken into its derivative, the ln(3) comes down while 3^(x^2+1) is still put on the side.
Do you know the chain rule ?

Hope this helps .

Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

A suggestion:

Rather than make up complicated expressions for derivatives, learn what notation is used normally and follow that:

y = f(x)

dy/dx = y' = f'(x) (use the ' to indicate differentiation w.r.t. x. The expression f'(x) is read, "f-prime of x".)

then, expressing the quotient rule in prime notation,

y = f(x) / g(x)

y' = (f(x)g'(x) - f'(x)g(x)) / [g(x)]2

Likes Qwertywerty
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

When working problems involving taking derivatives, I find it easier to convert expressions like "sqrt (x)" or "√x " to exponential form, so that "sqrt(x) = √x = x1/2 ".

Niaboc67 said:
I don't understand where the e or ln(3) comes from. Or why it's put as an exponent. Also, why does the ln(2) stay stationary? Then e disappears as x^2+1 is broken into its derivative, the ln(3) comes down while 3^(x^2+1) is still put on the side. Could someone please explain this process works.

Thank you
You should know that [itex]a^x= e^{ln(a^x)}= e^{x ln(a)}[/itex]. As result of that, the derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is [itex] a^x ln(a)[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]a^{f(x)}[/itex] is [itex]f'(x)a^{f(x)} ln(a)[/itex].

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It essentially measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. What is the difference between the first and second derivative?

The first derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to a function at a given point, while the second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative. In other words, the second derivative measures the curvature of a function.

3. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

4. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is important in many fields including physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows you to analyze how a function is changing and make predictions about its behavior. It also helps in optimizing functions to find maximum or minimum values.

5. How can I check if my derivative is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your derivative is correct. One way is to graph both the original function and its derivative to see if they match. Another way is to take the derivative of your result and see if it simplifies back to the original function. You can also use online derivative calculators to double-check your work.