1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on these two derivative problems

Tags:
  1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. k(t) = (sqrt(t+1))/(2t+1)

b. y = (3^(x^2+1))(ln(2))

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first problem, I know I use the quotient rule for derivatives (L)(DH)-(H)(DL)/((L)^2)
    which would go to: ((2t+1)(1/(2sqrt(t+1)) - (sqrt(t+1))(2))/((2t+1)^2) I get stuck here, maybe it's the algebra but I don't know how to factor all this down to get a solution.

For the second problem I was able to get the answer online but I don't understand the answer.
    It goes:

y = (3^(x^2+1))(ln(2))
    refine y = e^((ln(3))(x^2+1)) ln(2)
    y' = [2xln(3)ln(2)]3^(x^2+1)

I don't understand where the e or ln(3) comes from. Or why it's put as an exponent. Also, why does the ln(2) stay stationary? Then e disappears as x^2+1 is broken into its derivative, the ln(3) comes down while 3^(x^2+1) is still put on the side. Could someone please explain this process works.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2
    Take the LCM - it won't be simplified too much - but that's the way it's going to stay .
    This is just the manipulation of the original question in order to convert into terms which you can solve by chain rule . Do you know basic logarithmic properties ?
    You're only raising 3x2+1 to e .
    Do you know the chain rule ?

Hope this helps .

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A suggestion:

Rather than make up complicated expressions for derivatives, learn what notation is used normally and follow that:

y = f(x)

dy/dx = y' = f'(x) (use the ' to indicate differentiation w.r.t. x. The expression f'(x) is read, "f-prime of x".)

then, expressing the quotient rule in prime notation,

y = f(x) / g(x)

y' = (f(x)g'(x) - f'(x)g(x)) / [g(x)]2

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When working problems involving taking derivatives, I find it easier to convert expressions like "sqrt (x)" or "√x " to exponential form, so that "sqrt(x) = √x = x1/2 ".

6. Aug 6, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should know that [itex]a^x= e^{ln(a^x)}= e^{x ln(a)}[/itex]. As result of that, the derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is [itex] a^x ln(a)[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]a^{f(x)}[/itex] is [itex]f'(x)a^{f(x)} ln(a)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted