1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with when to use chain rule

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Just some general questions as I'm confused with when to use chain rule when not to.

For instance, to find the derivative of e^sqrt(x), the right answer is to use chain rule to get e^sqrtx*the derivative of sqrt(x). BUT, isn't there a formula that: d/dx K^x = In(K)*K^x? K for constant and x for differentiable function. So why I can't use it to get e^sqrt(x)=Ine*e^sqrt(x)? AND, isn't d/dx(e^x) = e^x?? I'm completely confused.. Midterm tomorrow.. really need your help.. Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, there isn't. There is no function named In. Are you thinking ln (LN) for the natural logarithm?
    d/dx(ex) = ex, but what about d/dx(ef(x))? For that you need the chain rule.

Let u = f(x).
    d/dx(ef(x)) = d/dx(eu) = d/du(eu) * du/dx = eu * du/dx.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    I don't know what you mean by In(K). Do you mean ln(K) (natural logarithm of K)? Assuming that's ln:

Yes, but x there isn't a function, it's the variable you're deriving in relation to! The formula for the derivate function of an exponential is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}K^{f(x)} = \frac{df(x)}{dx}ln(K)K^{f(x)}[/tex]

The special case when f(x) = x gives that equation you wrote, because [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = 1[/tex]. But when f(x) isn't x, [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex] won't be 1.

To deduce this equation you need to do the chain rule.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The short answer is you have to use the chain rule whenever the argument isn't just a simple x. So you don't need it for ex. But you need it for e to anything more complicated than that: [itex]e^{2x},\ e^{\sqrt x},\ e^{-x}[/itex] etc.

It's the same with any function. You don't need it for sin(x) but you do for the sine of anything else:[itex]\sin(2x),\ sin(-x),\ sin(x^3)[/itex]etc.

You could be safe and always use it. For example, if you use it on sin(x) you will just get the derivative as [itex]\cos(x)\cdot 1[/itex]. The extra 1 is correct and doesn't hurt anything.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    Thank you so much for all of your helps! Thanks!!

7. Oct 26, 2011 #6
    I thought you technically always use the chain rule anyway.

For instance,
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}y=x^2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2x(x')[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2x[/tex]

You are still using the chain rule, it's just that x' is 1 because the function is being differentiated with respect to x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook