Confusion: computation of class number of K=Q(sqrt(30))

In summary: So (30) must be the product of (2) and (3). But that's already 1, so how come when the third one comes you still get 1?
iccanobif
As an exercise, I'm trying to compute the class number of [itex]K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{30})[/itex]. By the Minkowski bound, I just need to consider the prime ideals which divide 2,3,5.
I've found that

[itex] (2) = \mathfrak{p}^2_2 [/itex]
[itex] (3) = \mathfrak{p}^2_3 [/itex]
[itex] (5) = \mathfrak{p}^2_5 [/itex]

where [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n = (n, \sqrt{30}) [/itex].

Also, using Legendre symbols it's easy to see that none of the [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n, n = 2,3,5 [/itex], is principal.

Moreover, I've found the relation

[itex] \mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = (30) [/itex].

Now, these relations make me think that the class group is of order 4 (generated by [itex] \mathfrak{p}_2, \mathfrak{p}_3 [/itex], with the two generators in different ideal classes because of the last relation and the fact that [itex] \mathfrak{p}_5 [/itex] is not principal).

BUT: I know that the class number should be 2.

Can anyone help me? I'm really confused!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
iccanobif said:
As an exercise, I'm trying to compute the class number of [itex]K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{30})[/itex]. By the Minkowski bound, I just need to consider the prime ideals which divide 2,3,5.
I've found that

where [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n = (n, \sqrt{30}) [/itex].

Also, using Legendre symbols it's easy to see that none of the [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n, n = 2,3,5 [/itex], is principal.

Moreover, I've found the relation

Now, these relations make me think that the class group is of order 4 (generated by [itex] \mathfrak{p}_2, \mathfrak{p}_3 [/itex], with the two generators in different ideal classes because of the last relation and the fact that [itex] \mathfrak{p}_5 [/itex] is not principal).

BUT: I know that the class number should be 2.

Can anyone help me? I'm really confused!

Thanks!

An idea: it's not hard to show that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_k^{-1}=\mathfrak{p}_k\,,\,\,k=2,3,5[/itex], so you'd only need to show

that all these ideal cosets are the in fact the same, and indeed [tex](2,\sqrt{30})(3,\sqrt{30})=(\sqrt{30}) \Longrightarrow \mathfrak{p}_2=\mathfrak{p}_3\,\,\,and\,\,\,etc.[/tex]

DonAntonio

Last edited:
DonAntonio said:
An idea: it's not hard to show that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_k^{-1}=\mathfrak{p}_k\,,\,\,k=2,3,5[/itex], so you'd only need to show

that all these ideal cosets are the in fact the same, and indeed [tex](2,\sqrt{30})(3,\sqrt{30})=(30)\Longrightarrow \mathfrak{p}_2=\mathfrak{p}_3\,\,\,and\,\,\,etc.[/tex]

DonAntonio

My confusion comes from the fact that, although I know it's true what you said above (each [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n[/itex] is its inverse in [itex]Cl_K[/itex], and also [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n \mathfrak{p}_m[/itex] is principal), my problem is that

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
imply that
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
which it's not true, as [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal.

I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where!

iccanobif said:
My confusion comes from the fact that, although I know it's true what you said above (each [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n[/itex] is its inverse in [itex]Cl_K[/itex], and also [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n \mathfrak{p}_m[/itex] is principal), my problem is that

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
imply that
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
which it's not true, as [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal.

I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where!

Well, can you describe why you thin [itex]\,\,\mathfrak{p}_2\mathfrak{p}_3\mathfrak{p}_5=1\,\,[/itex] ? As far as I can see, the product of the first

two already is 1, so how come when the third one comes you still get 1?

DonAntonio

iccanobif said:

That can't be right. Your equations above say that (30) is the square of the left hand side.

1. How is the class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) calculated?

The class number of a number field K is computed using a mathematical formula known as the generalized Gauss class number formula. In the case of K=Q(sqrt(30)), the formula can be simplified to h(K) = (p1+1)(p2+1)/4, where p1 and p2 are the prime factors of 30. By plugging in the values, we get h(K) = (3+1)(5+1)/4 = 2*3 = 6. Therefore, the class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) is 6.

2. What is the significance of the class number of a number field?

The class number of a number field indicates the complexity of its arithmetic. In simple terms, it measures the number of distinct ideal classes in the ring of integers of the number field. A smaller class number means that the number field has simpler arithmetic, making it easier to study. A larger class number indicates a more complicated structure, making it more challenging to analyze.

3. Can the class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) be computed by hand?

Yes, the class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) can be computed by hand using the generalized Gauss class number formula mentioned above. However, this can be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially for larger number fields. Therefore, it is more common to use computer algorithms and programs to calculate the class number.

4. How does the class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) compare to other number fields?

The class number of K=Q(sqrt(30)) is relatively small compared to other number fields. For example, the class number of K=Q(sqrt(3)) is 1, while the class number of K=Q(sqrt(23)) is 3, and the class number of K=Q(sqrt(7)) is 4. This indicates that K=Q(sqrt(30)) has simpler arithmetic compared to these other number fields.

5. What are some applications of computing the class number of a number field?

The class number of a number field has various applications in number theory and cryptography. For example, it is used in algorithms for factoring large numbers, which is essential for secure data encryption. It also plays a crucial role in studying the distribution of prime numbers and solving mathematical problems related to Diophantine equations. Additionally, the class number has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and algebraic topology.