Confusion: computation of class number of K=Q(sqrt(30))

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
iccanobif
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
As an exercise, I'm trying to compute the class number of [itex]K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{30})[/itex]. By the Minkowski bound, I just need to consider the prime ideals which divide 2,3,5.
I've found that

[itex](2) = \mathfrak{p}^2_2[/itex]
[itex](3) = \mathfrak{p}^2_3[/itex]
[itex](5) = \mathfrak{p}^2_5[/itex]

where [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n = (n, \sqrt{30})[/itex].

Also, using Legendre symbols it's easy to see that none of the [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n, n = 2,3,5[/itex], is principal.

Moreover, I've found the relation

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = (30)[/itex].

Now, these relations make me think that the class group is of order 4 (generated by [itex]\mathfrak{p}_2, \mathfrak{p}_3[/itex], with the two generators in different ideal classes because of the last relation and the fact that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal).

BUT: I know that the class number should be 2.

Can anyone help me? I'm really confused!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iccanobif said:
As an exercise, I'm trying to compute the class number of [itex]K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{30})[/itex]. By the Minkowski bound, I just need to consider the prime ideals which divide 2,3,5.
I've found that

[itex](2) = \mathfrak{p}^2_2[/itex]
[itex](3) = \mathfrak{p}^2_3[/itex]
[itex](5) = \mathfrak{p}^2_5[/itex]

where [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n = (n, \sqrt{30})[/itex].

Also, using Legendre symbols it's easy to see that none of the [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n, n = 2,3,5[/itex], is principal.

Moreover, I've found the relation

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = (30)[/itex].

Now, these relations make me think that the class group is of order 4 (generated by [itex]\mathfrak{p}_2, \mathfrak{p}_3[/itex], with the two generators in different ideal classes because of the last relation and the fact that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal).

BUT: I know that the class number should be 2.

Can anyone help me? I'm really confused!

Thanks!



An idea: it's not hard to show that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_k^{-1}=\mathfrak{p}_k\,,\,\,k=2,3,5[/itex], so you'd only need to show

that all these ideal cosets are the in fact the same, and indeed [tex](2,\sqrt{30})(3,\sqrt{30})=(\sqrt{30}) \Longrightarrow \mathfrak{p}_2=\mathfrak{p}_3\,\,\,and\,\,\,etc.[/tex]

DonAntonio
 
Last edited:
DonAntonio said:
An idea: it's not hard to show that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_k^{-1}=\mathfrak{p}_k\,,\,\,k=2,3,5[/itex], so you'd only need to show

that all these ideal cosets are the in fact the same, and indeed [tex](2,\sqrt{30})(3,\sqrt{30})=(30)\Longrightarrow \mathfrak{p}_2=\mathfrak{p}_3\,\,\,and\,\,\,etc.[/tex]

DonAntonio

My confusion comes from the fact that, although I know it's true what you said above (each [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n[/itex] is its inverse in [itex]Cl_K[/itex], and also [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n \mathfrak{p}_m[/itex] is principal), my problem is that

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
imply that
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
which it's not true, as [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal.

I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where!
 
iccanobif said:
My confusion comes from the fact that, although I know it's true what you said above (each [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n[/itex] is its inverse in [itex]Cl_K[/itex], and also [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n \mathfrak{p}_m[/itex] is principal), my problem is that

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
imply that
[itex]\mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
which it's not true, as [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal.

I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where!



Well, can you describe why you thin [itex]\,\,\mathfrak{p}_2\mathfrak{p}_3\mathfrak{p}_5=1\,\,[/itex] ? As far as I can see, the product of the first

two already is 1, so how come when the third one comes you still get 1?

DonAntonio
 
iccanobif said:
[itex](2) = \mathfrak{p}^2_2[/itex]
[itex](3) = \mathfrak{p}^2_3[/itex]
[itex](5) = \mathfrak{p}^2_5[/itex]

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = (30)[/itex].
That can't be right. Your equations above say that (30) is the square of the left hand side.