Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion: computation of class number of K=Q(sqrt(30))

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    As an exercise, I'm trying to compute the class number of [itex]K = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{30})[/itex]. By the Minkowski bound, I just need to consider the prime ideals which divide 2,3,5.
    I've found that

[itex] (2) = \mathfrak{p}^2_2 [/itex]
    [itex] (3) = \mathfrak{p}^2_3 [/itex]
    [itex] (5) = \mathfrak{p}^2_5 [/itex]

where [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n = (n, \sqrt{30}) [/itex].

Also, using Legendre symbols it's easy to see that none of the [itex] \mathfrak{p}_n, n = 2,3,5 [/itex], is principal.

Moreover, I've found the relation

[itex] \mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = (30) [/itex].

Now, these relations make me think that the class group is of order 4 (generated by [itex] \mathfrak{p}_2, \mathfrak{p}_3 [/itex], with the two generators in different ideal classes because of the last relation and the fact that [itex] \mathfrak{p}_5 [/itex] is not principal).

BUT: I know that the class number should be 2.

Can anyone help me? I'm really confused!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

An idea: it's not hard to show that [itex]\mathfrak{p}_k^{-1}=\mathfrak{p}_k\,,\,\,k=2,3,5[/itex], so you'd only need to show

that all these ideal cosets are the in fact the same, and indeed [tex](2,\sqrt{30})(3,\sqrt{30})=(\sqrt{30}) \Longrightarrow \mathfrak{p}_2=\mathfrak{p}_3\,\,\,and\,\,\,etc.[/tex]

DonAntonio

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    My confusion comes from the fact that, although I know it's true what you said above (each [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n[/itex] is its inverse in [itex]Cl_K[/itex], and also [itex]\mathfrak{p}_n \mathfrak{p}_m[/itex] is principal), my problem is that

[itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 = 1[/itex]
    and
    [itex]\mathfrak{p}_2 \mathfrak{p}_3 \mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
    imply that
    [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5 = 1[/itex]
    which it's not true, as [itex]\mathfrak{p}_5[/itex] is not principal.

I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where!

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4

Well, can you describe why you thin [itex]\,\,\mathfrak{p}_2\mathfrak{p}_3\mathfrak{p}_5=1\,\,[/itex] ? As far as I can see, the product of the first

two already is 1, so how come when the third one comes you still get 1?

DonAntonio

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That can't be right. Your equations above say that (30) is the square of the left hand side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook