1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Confusion in Maxwell's derivation of Ampere's Force Law

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone here. I have my question in the following attached pdf file

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2
    Sorry I didn't posted my question directly. It was because of unavailability of Maths symbols

4. May 22, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt anyone else will read your file.
    This site supports ##\LaTeX## ...
    enclose your expression (say) \xi\nu with opening double-# and closing double-# to produce ##\xi\nu##

5. May 22, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. May 22, 2016 #5
    I am reading Maxwell's "a treatise on electricity and magnetism, Volume 2, page 156" about "Ampere's Force Law". I have some confusion in the following pages:

Ampere2.PNG Ampere3.PNG

My question is of two parts:
    Equation 20, i.e. ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}## is the outcome of special case (i.e. l=1, m=0, n=0)

But in Page 156, Article 517, Maxwell says: "We can now eliminate P, and find the general value of ##\dfrac{dX}{ds}## and uses this formula (i.e. ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##) in the general case.

However in the general case, where 0 < l, m, n < 1, and hence
    ##\dfrac{d^{2}X}{dsds'}=l\left( \frac{dP}{ds'}\xi^{2}-\dfrac{dQ}{ds'}+(B+C)\dfrac{l'\xi}{r}\right) +m(...)+n(...)\neq0##
    (since direction of X is not in the direction of ds)

therefore,
    ##\dfrac{dX}{ds}=l\left[ (P\xi^{2}-Q)_{(s',0)}-\int\limits_0^s' (2Pr-B-C)\dfrac{l'\xi}{r}ds'\right] +m\int\limits_0^s'(...)ds'+n\int\limits_0^s'(...)ds'##
    Now in this general case, how can we get ##P=\dfrac{B+C}{2r}##.

If ##P\neq\dfrac{B+C}{2r}## in general case, what does Maxwell mean by "We can now eliminate P, and find the general value of ##\dfrac{dX}{ds}##"
    2. How can one get equation 21 from equation 15. Please give a lengthy derivation.

7. May 23, 2016 #6
    Please somebody answer my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted