Confusion over electric field inside a charged shell

In summary, the textbook says that if a charged particle is enclosed by a shell of uniform charge, there is no electrostatic force on the particle from the shell. However, the textbook then concludes that the same results would be obtained if the particle was inside the shell. I don't understand how this conclusion works.
AdrianMachin
I've got confused over a topic in my physics textbook (Fundamentals of Physics).
The textbook says if a charged particle is enclosed by a shell of uniform charge, there is no electrostatic force on the particle from the shell. I don't firmly get this, as the book uses a confusing reasoning for this. At first, the textbook makes a Gaussian surface called S1 inside the shell and it assumes there's no charge enclosed by S1, so according to Gauss' Law; there in no electric field inside the shell and S1 which I agree. However, just after that, the textbook concludes that there would be the same results if a charged particle was inside the shell. I don't know how this conclusion work.

I think a charged particle inside a charged spherical shell would produce an electric field in its nearby environment thus it would exert electrostatic forces on the shell (If I'm wrong, please prove it) therefore by Newton's third law, there will be the same force in magnitude exerted on the charged particle... :confused:

physics_problem1.png
physics_problem2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This also applies to a shell of matter where there is no gravitational attraction inside the shell from the shell. If you were to integrate the forces from every point on the shell on the test charge they will sum to zero.

Here's a video description of it:

Is this an insulator shell or a conductor shell? The situations are different. For the conductive shell, the charge on the shell can re-distribute due to the extra charge inside so it won't be uniform any more.

jedishrfu said:
This also applies to a shell of matter where there is no gravitational attraction inside the shell from the shell. If you were to integrate the forces from every point on the shell on the test charge they will sum to zero.

Here's a video description of it:

Thanks, but I watched the video but didn't get my answer.
pixel said:
I read those post but got more confused! I know that Gauss's law results that there would be no electric field inside the metal of a metallic shell, but why? what had exactly happened that resulted in no electric field? what canceled out?

Also, my textbook doesn't indicate if it's a conductor shell or an insulator like nasu asked. o_O
"Applying Gauss’ law to surface S1, for which r is less than R, leads directly to E=0 because this Gaussian surface encloses no charge. Thus, if a charged particle were enclosed by the shell, the shell would exert no net electrostatic force on the particle."
I don't understand the sentence in orange. I think the particle exerts forces due to its electric field that induces charges on the shell (if it's conductor), so there should be a similar force on the particle from the shell according to Newton's third law. I also don't know how the book first proves that green text without the presence of any charged particles, but then concludes the same for a different situation with a charged particle inside?!

AdrianMachin said:
I read those post but got more confused! I know that Gauss's law results that there would be no electric field inside the metal of a metallic shell, but why? what had exactly happened that resulted in no electric field? what canceled out?

We know a prior that the E field is 0 inside a conductor in an electrostatic situation. If there were a field, charge would be moving. Since charge is not moving, there is no electric field. Sometimes Gauss's Law is used to find the field, knowing the charge enclosed. Sometimes, we know the field and use it to find the charge.

Likes AdrianMachin
Thanks. Are there any great simulations for this subject online?

1. What is electric field inside a charged shell?

The electric field inside a charged shell is the measure of the force that an electric charge would experience if placed inside the shell. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. Why is there confusion over the electric field inside a charged shell?

The confusion arises because the electric field inside a charged shell is zero, as proven by Gauss's Law. This is counterintuitive because it may seem like the charges on the shell would create an electric field inside.

3. How is Gauss's Law used to determine the electric field inside a charged shell?

Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the charge enclosed by that surface. Using this law, we can calculate the electric field inside a charged shell by considering the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface inside the shell.

4. Can the electric field inside a charged shell ever be non-zero?

No, the electric field inside a charged shell will always be zero. This is because the electric field lines inside the shell would have to start and end on the same charge, violating the principle of conservation of charge.

5. How does the electric field inside a charged shell affect the charges on the shell?

The charges on the shell are not affected by the electric field inside. This is because the electric field inside is zero, so there is no force acting on the charges. The charges on the shell will only experience a force if the electric field outside the shell is non-zero.