1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with Inverse Functions AP Calc

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Given f(x)= .01x³ + .7x -2 . Approximate ƒ−1(3).

2)Given f(x) = (x³) / (x²+1) and g(x) = ƒ–1(x). Evaluate g'(2)

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Would this be correct? 3=.01x^3 + .7x -2
    But then, how would I find x at 3?

2) I am confused about going about solving this problem. Any help would be appreciated@!!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
  4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    OK, so for number one, I wouldn't just set the function equal to 3 and then solve?? And if I would do that how would I find x??

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For #1, you're looking for a number x0 such that f(x0) [itex]\approx[/itex] 3. Equivalently, x0 [itex]\approx[/itex] f-1(3)

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    So then I have 3=.01x^3 + .7x -2. What step would I take to solve this problem next?

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How about adding 2 to both sides? This will give you .01x^2 + .7x = 5. At that point I would pick a value and put it in for x on the left side and see how close I got to 5. If the result is larger than 5, pick a smaller value and repeat the process so that you get closer and closer to 5 as the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook