Is Creationism Gaining Support in Congress?

• News
  • Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the Congressman rejects evolution, embryology, and the Big Bang theory, stating that they are all lies from the "pit of hell".
I think that guy took a time machine here from the dark ages.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether he was being disingenuous and pandering to his constituents (though why I can't fathom since the article said he was running unopposed), or actually believed it is neither here nor there. I have a friend with a degree in biochem, specializing in microbiology, and she completely rejects evolution and says the Earth was created almost 7000 years ago in 6 days. So the idea that he has an MD and rejects evolution isn't all that odd. Tipler believes he has mathematically proven the existence of life after death, so it's not uncommon for otherwise well educated scientists to hold unscientific views.

The problem occurs when those views are used to set science policy. I haven't seen any evidence that it has (though I'm sure his views have been used to set policy - I just haven't found evidence yet). Anyone find any links that say this?

Well there is another possibility. There is a school of thought that in some ways is more consistent than most of the anti-evolutionary arguments, that does not necessarily deny the science but holds that it is sinful even to make scientific enquiry. We should not presume to poke out noses into Gods affairs and should just accept the word of God as given to us in the bible, this view holds. Of course there is an inconsistency in holding that view and yet being prepared to enjoy other fruits of human technology. But just leaving that aside for a moment, it is the only argument I can perceive that has any basis on which to object to embryology, because, while the arguments that evolution is not testable are actually false, patently embryology is perfectly observable in action. The fact that it offers such powerful evidence in support of evolution might indicate why it is despised by anti-evolutionists, but they have to know that they are walking right into an unavoidable trap if they try to build any logical argument against it. Of course, this congressman was not building any logical arguments, he was offering only bluster and white noise. But somewhere in his heart, he must know that what he is saying is just so much nonsense.

CAC1001 said:
while we can be 99.99% sure about something regarding it

We are much more than 99.99% sure. To characterize it as only 99.99% is to be disingenuous. Observations have ruled out a "no big bang" case to much more than the 3.8 sigma you're suggesting.

Jack21222 said:
We are much more than 99.99% sure. To characterize it as only 99.99% is to be disingenuous. Observations have ruled out a "no big bang" case to much more than the 3.8 sigma you're suggesting.

I understand what you are saying, but when dealing with something as mysterious and complex as the universe, no one can ever be 100% sure about something such as the beginning of the universe. If you were to time travel 100 years into the future, and look into astronomy research, you might find quite a few things that astronomers and physicists right now think they are certain about that they turned out to be wrong about.

Ken Natton said:
There is a school of thought that in some ways is more consistent than most of the anti-evolutionary arguments, that does not necessarily deny the science but holds that it is sinful even to make scientific enquiry. We should not presume to poke out noses into Gods affairs and should just accept the word of God as given to us in the bible, this view holds.
The kosher laws in the old testiment make it impossible to to forego scientific inquiry. For example, it is forbidden to eat fish that don't have scales. Birds, of course, do not have scales and yet are edible. Why shouldn't they be, birds aren't fish. As you can easily tell just by looking. That is to say, by scientific enquiry.

What I want to know is what God was doing before he made the universe. Genesis says "In the beginning..," but God must have existed before the beginning in order that he could begin the beginning. So what was God supposed to have been doing before beginning the beginning?

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
What I want to know is what God was doing before he made the world. Genesis says "In the beginning..," but God must have existed before the beginning in order that he could begin the beginning. So what was God supposed to have been doing before the beginning?
Some religions say God creates and destroys universes. So, he must be busy with universes that existed before ours. But, it's an interesting question where all this began.

I wonder if someone can answer it but I am satisfied with some questions left unanswered.

rootX said:
Some religions say God creates and destroys universes. So, he must be busy with universes that existed before ours. But, it's an interesting question where all this began.

I wonder if someone can answer it but I am satisfied with some questions left unanswered.

Well, if there are an infinite number of universes being created and destroyed, then we don't need a beginning, so Genesis must be wrong.

Second question. Christians (or at least Roman Catholics) believe that Jesus was the product of an "Immaculate Conception" but a conception nonetheless. Therefore he must have been an embryo at one time. What might the good Congressman think about that?

EDIT: I suppose Genesis is just referring to our universe. But if God is infinite and eternal, as I think most Christians would believe, then the mere creation of one universe out of an infinite number would hardly be worth mentioning, would it?

Then again, this is supposed to have happened only 9,000 years ago, so maybe it's relevant to our history: Creation, some ice, some arrowheads, some cave paintings, some mammoths, then agriculture and before you know it the Pyramids and the Tower of Babel. (Lies put some of this stuff earlier than 7000 BC). I'm not sure about things like the dinosaurs and trilobites. Those fossils must have been put there by the devil.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
What I want to know is what God was doing before he made the universe. Genesis says "In the beginning..," but God must have existed before the beginning in order that he could begin the beginning. So what was God supposed to have been doing before beginning the beginning?

Just sitting around doing nothing. You know, kinda like what he's doing right now.

leroyjenkens said:
Just sitting around doing nothing. You know, kinda like what he's doing right now.

No! No! We can't have that! Idleness is a sin. Read my last post (and the quote of rootX) above. (#44)

CAC1001 said:
I would dispute that there's any way scientists can be 100% sure that the universe started with the Big Bang in the way they are sure that HIV causes AIDS. These guys were not around back when the universe started. It's a theory. It's a very good theory and one with a lot of evidence that makes a large amount of sense, but still a theory. Look at what happened in 1998, when the astronomy and physics community were rocked when two independent teams inadverdently found that the universe is continuing to expand, and expand faster and faster, which up until then if one had said this, they'd have been going against most of the astronomical community. This told astronomers that they actually know a lot less about the universe then what they thought they did (it's only the UNIVERSE for crying out loud).

I could proclaim: It's just a theory that you exist.

Substitute theory for: The best possible explanation provided by the current accumulation of evidence.

CAC1001 said:
I understand what you are saying, but when dealing with something as mysterious and complex as the universe, no one can ever be 100% sure about something such as the beginning of the universe.

You misunderstand the Big Bang theory. It is totally agnostic (has no comment about) how the universe BEGAN. It is all about what happened starting at one Plank time AFTER the singularity (whatever that was) occurred. You can argue all you want about what the singularity is (which is what I think your arguemnt really is about) but arguing against the Big Bang theory is just foolish.

Your misconception about what "Big Bang" means is VERY widespread, since it certainly SOUNDS like it means an explosion that started everthing.

SixNein said:

Substitute theory for: The best possible explanation provided by the current accumulation of evidence.

Personally, I don't think God did such a great job with our universe. It seems to be coming apart.

SW VandeCarr said:
Well, if there are an infinite number of universes being created and destroyed, then we don't need a beginning, so Genesis must be wrong.

Second question. Christians (or at least Roman Catholics) believe that Jesus was the product of an "Immaculate Conception" but a conception nonetheless. Therefore he must have been an embryo at one time. What might the good Congressman think about that?

EDIT: I suppose Genesis is just referring to our universe. But if God is infinite and eternal, as I think most Christians would believe, then the mere creation of one universe out of an infinite number would hardly be worth mentioning, would it?

Then again, this is supposed to have happened only 9,000 years ago, so maybe it's relevant to our history: Creation, some ice, some arrowheads, some cave paintings, some mammoths, then agriculture and before you know it the Pyramids and the Tower of Babel. (Lies put some of this stuff earlier than 7000 BC). I'm not sure about things like the dinosaurs and trilobites. Those fossils must have been put there by the devil.

You're mixing at least two different religions together (and maybe more) that don't necessarily have the same beliefs and at least one (Catholic) that doesn't apply to the Congressman.

I'm not exactly sure how his church views Mary, but the semi-deification of Mary was one of the reasons Protestants split away from the Catholic church. On the other hand, he would be more likely to take a literal view of the Bible than Catholics would.

Aside from that, even if there were an infinite number of universes, ours would be worth mentioning to us. It's only the others that wouldn't be worth mentioning. With over 6 billion people in the world, your life is hardly worth mentioning to the vast majority, but you probably find it worth mentioning to your friends family.

SW VandeCarr said:

It's the beginning. When a plan goes wrong, you go back to the beginning. So he's waiting for Vizzini.

ImaLooser said:
If he doesn't like evolution, he doesn't have to participate.

+1

nice :smile:

I think the problem here is not so much that you don't like non-scentific congresspersons, but that you don't like representative democracy.

If about 40% of the population of a country believe in a literal interpretation of a holy book, then it seems entirely reasonable to me that 40% of thir elected representatives should believe the same as the people they represent :devil:

Alpha +1

The desire to denigrate those you disagree with is always interesting to me and quite "anti-science" as we all know science is about disagreement and further research to better support ones hypothesis or create a better one.

For the record many Christians accept evolution as the tool used by god in creation. I personally have no idea how long a day is to god but understand the need to put it into terms humans would understand in a book made for out consumption. I currently see no scientific theory that is a contradiction of my faith or my profession as a geologist.

Oltz said:
Alpha +1

The desire to denigrate those you disagree with is always interesting to me and quite "anti-science" as we all know science is about disagreement and further research to better support ones hypothesis or create a better one.

For the record many Christians accept evolution as the tool used by god in creation. I personally have no idea how long a day is to god but understand the need to put it into terms humans would understand in a book made for out consumption. I currently see no scientific theory that is a contradiction of my faith or my profession as a geologist.

I'm very specifically mocking the stated extreme anti-scientific views of this Congressman. This is a scientific forum and I will mock or disparage (within the rules of this forum) the publically stated irrational beliefs of those who are elected to govern us. That's my right as much as it is the right of those who would vote for such a person to vote as they choose.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I'm very specifically mocking the stated extreme anti-scientific views of this Congressman. This is a scientific forum and I will mock or disparage (within the rules of this forum) the publically stated irrational beliefs of those who are elected to govern us. That's my right as much as it is the right of those who would vote for such a person to vote as they choose.

Thanks for clarifying your stance, SW.

Disparaging beliefs or decisions is one thing - we can't make it personal, though. Remember, some may prefer reason-based decisions, others are quite comfortable with faith-based decisions. That's just reality.

AlephZero said:
I think the problem here is not so much that you don't like non-scentific congresspersons, but that you don't like representative democracy.

If about 40% of the population of a country believe in a literal interpretation of a holy book, then it seems entirely reasonable to me that 40% of thir elected representatives should believe the same as the people they represent :devil:
Two points: firstly criticism of elected government is not synonymous at all with criticism of the governmental system in question. Secondly you are confusing representative democracy with proportional representation voting which are very different things. The United States government is a representative democracy that utilises electoral district voting for elections. Because of this it is very unlikely that the proportion of votes for a party matches their proportion of the seats.

BobG said:
You're mixing at least two different religions together (and maybe more) that don't necessarily have the same beliefs and at least one (Catholic) that doesn't apply to the Congressman.

I'm not exactly sure how his church views Mary, but the semi-deification of Mary was one of the reasons Protestants split away from the Catholic church. On the other hand, he would be more likely to take a literal view of the Bible than Catholics would.

Aside from that, even if there were an infinite number of universes, ours would be worth mentioning to us. It's only the others that wouldn't be worth mentioning. With over 6 billion people in the world, your life is hardly worth mentioning to the vast majority, but you probably find it worth mentioning to your friends family.

I agree. I should have been more precise and not given the impression of conflating the different faiths. The Roman Catholic stance is more progressive and does not deny evolution or the Big Bang. As regards embryology, the Vatican considers the human embryo as sacred and therefore opposes the use of oral contraceptives.

In my post, I did say we have a legitimate interest in the beginning of our universe, especially from a fundamentalist perspective which holds the beginning was quite recent compared to the evidence based scientific view.

Last edited:
SixNein said:

Except that you can know for a fact a person exists as you can actually see them.

phinds said:
You misunderstand the Big Bang theory. It is totally agnostic (has no comment about) how the universe BEGAN. It is all about what happened starting at one Plank time AFTER the singularity (whatever that was) occurred. You can argue all you want about what the singularity is (which is what I think your arguemnt really is about) but arguing against the Big Bang theory is just foolish.

Not arguing against it at all, I'm just pointing out that no one can say with 100% certainty that that is how things occurred. All the evidence we have points in that direction. But just because there aren't any logical alternatives doesn't mean an alternative doesn't exist, as not all of the universe functions according to logic. Look at the laws of physics. Some of it flat-out doesn't make sense and is almost mystical, and very illogical, but yet it is reality. There could be an alternative explanation regarding the universe that we can't even comprehend with our current brains.

Sure, based on what we know and can observe, the Big Bang makes great sense, but what if there are aspects about the universe that we cannot observe yet, that we cannot even comprehend, that change things around? It's like trying to visualize more than three dimensions. Just because the brain can't do it doesn't mean they don't exist.

I am not at all dismissing the Big Bang, but I think when talking about the state of the universe 13+ billion Earth years ago, that there's the slight chance we could be wrong about something. From what I understand, no astronomer or physicist claims the Big Bang theory is 100% accurate, just that it is the most accurate theory we have right now. The original Big Bang theory had some problems. One theory that was devised that seems to solve a lot of these problems is inflation. Andrei Linde, one of the experts on inflation, said about it, "Inflation hasn't won the race, but so far it's the only horse."

Your misconception about what "Big Bang" means is VERY widespread, since it certainly SOUNDS like it means an explosion that started everthing.

That's not a misconception I have, although I can see that I gave that impression from what I wrote. By "beginning of the universe," I meant the belief that the universe was very compressed in the past and then expanded outwards very quickly. But I am aware that the Big Bang doesn't deal with the beginning (as in the literal creation) of the universe itself.

We're completely missing the point of what the congressman said, he believes that everything was created in 6 days, as told in Genesis. That's the anti-science part that has been firmly debunked.

Evo said:
We're completely missing the point of what the congressman said, he believes that everything was created in 6 days, as told in Genesis. That's the anti-science part that has been firmly debunked.

Oh, this is going to shock a bunch of my relatives. Are you SURE about this ? They are going to be very disappointed.

phinds said:
Oh, this is going to shock a bunch of my relatives. Are you SURE about this ? They are going to be very disappointed.
Lol, I'm pretty sure.

Evo said:

I know that's what it says in Genesis, but why did it take an omnipotent God six days?

SW VandeCarr said:
I know that's what it says in Genesis, but why did it take an omnipotent God six days?
Because that's how long it took in the earlier Mesopotamian myth that Genesis was copied from.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:

I think it's more curious that he needed to rest.

God is all powerful, everywhere, and all knowing.

I remember this being told to me when I was 7. ( grade 2 in a catholic school ) 1962

I consider that as the beginning of my science education. That was singular moment of time when I started to question what I was told.
My hands ( I was told to hold them up and out ) were beaten ten times on each hand with a strap just for asking.
I remember it very well.

since then ... I learned how 'gods' were the development by man to try to explain the nature of things observed. How power over others could be obtained by being the one to explain the mysteries of life and death.

SW VandeCarr said:
I'm not religious but the Cartesian perfections are a very modern addition to western theology and aren't unanimously adopted either. I've met many Christian priests that reject the idea that their deity is all powerful, all knowing etc. They're content with the idea that their deity is the most powerful/most powerful possible/prime mover etc.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm not religious but the Cartesian perfections are a very modern addition to western theology and aren't unanimously adopted either. I've met many Christian priests that reject the idea that their deity is all powerful, all knowing etc. They're content with the idea that their deity is the most powerful/most powerful possible/prime mover etc.

So the "experts" on God can't agree on any of God's attributes, even the most fundamental ones. I'd say that eliminates God from any serious, reasonable, or logical inquiry on the basis of self-inconsistency.

I feel we're drifting down a dead end path. The real issue here is religion and/or education in politics, discussions of religion themselves rarely end well on internet forums.