Connecting 380v 50hz 3ph euro motor in Canada?

• Thread starter Not_Newton
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys,

I got a question that I can only assume you guys stand a chance of responding properly to. Here is my problem I just received a shippement with machinery to open my new business. Now I am stuck with this problem I am in Canada running 60hz can get voltages of 110-220-440 is it possible to run this motor here in Canada? Got any advice other then dont deal with China? Here is a photo of the technical info on the motor.

[PLAIN]http://garagego.ca/images/IMG00063-20110124-2140.jpg [Broken]

Thanks guys...

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

If you don't mind us asking, what is the machine the motor is attached to? Is the motor being driven directly from the wall (i.e. on-off operation), or is there a speed controller on the machine somewhere? If there's only one speed, and you don't mind it running a little fast, you can probably get away with just using a three-phase step-down transformer. If not, you may need a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to switch the input frequency from 60 to 50 Hz.

Unfortunately, since all of the above costs money (possibly more than what you paid for the machine) you might be better off just replacing the motor with a similar one with the same torque and speed rating.

EDIT: IANAPE (I am not a power engineer)

Fair question, it is the motor of a car lift for a mechanic garage. Witch is why I have limited ressources other then the internet to figure out a solution. So VFD is that expensive ? thing is that I actually have quite a few of these as a matter of fact I was expecting normal so to say electrical devices that plug into the wall like normaly you would expect. I also have the same questions about a welder that I am not to crazy about trying out without knowing what's gonna happen when you pull the trigger.
A step down transformer is for voltage right?

Anyways thanks a lot it is one of those problems I wish I did not have.

Dear Not Newton,
According to my knowledge, your 440volts are generated from two wires of 220volts by shifting their phases 180 degree out. You can confirm it by
1. individually checking these two wires with neutral first(Voltmeter will show 220V in both wires)
2. Checking the voltage across these two phases (Voltmeter will show 440V)
After confirming the above statements, you can connect the motor in Star.

As per your motor's name plate. It is 3phase motor having 2 poles and 5% slip. You can connect this motor in star. Following is the connection of Star.
Short out U2, V2 and W2 by cable or jumper.
Connect the one phase with U1
Connect the other phase with V1
Leave W1 unconnected.
Your motor will start rotating but it can deliver only 2 horse power ideally (Approx 1.5KW) and slip percentage will increase from 5% to above. Hence motor rpm will reduces from 2850 to below value. It is not suitable for heavy load applications.