Connecting ground to return wire?

In summary, Several years ago, there was an argument about the wiring of a new control room. The electric technicians wired the room with 3-terminal power outlets, connecting the ground to the return on each terminal. This was based on the practice in the speaker's home country of using only two wire cables between the distribution box and the wall outlets. The speaker argued that if the return wire broke or had a bad connection, the supposedly grounded chassis of the electric equipment could electrocute someone. However, as the contract did not specify one way or another, and the building code was silent about it, the contractors could not be forced to rewire the building. The speaker suggested creating an Earth ground and connecting each outlet's ground terminal to it
fbs7
Several years ago I got in a big argument with the folks that wired a new control room (a project I had nothing to do with, but jumped in as a concerned employeed).

These guys provided 3-terminal power outlets, but on each terminal they connected the ground to the return, based on the practice in my home country of providing just two wire cables between the distribution box and the wall outlets.

They argued that if they had carried 3-wire cables to the distribution boxes, they would ground the neutral bar anyway, so they could just as well do that in the outlet and save on the cables.

I argued that if the return wire broke or had a bad connection before the distribution panel, the supposedly grounded chassis of the electric equipment would get the line voltage and they would eletrocute someone - to what I was called alarmist.

As the contract didn't specify one way or another (it just said 3-terminal outlets), and the building code in my home country is (or was at the time) suspiciously silent about that, the contract manager couldn't get the contractors to rewire the building.

So, was that really a danger as I stated? In that case, if rewiring the building is not an option, what would be the best palliative for that situation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes if the return wire breaks the chassis will not be grounded anymore.

EDIT: Also proper grounding may not be achieved in the outlet.

fbs7 said:
... In that case, if rewiring the building is not an option, what would be the best palliative for that situation?
You could create a Earth ground and connect each outlets ground terminal to it.

800px-HomeEarthRodAustralia1.jpg

in this country (US) it's a rule that the "ground" conductor must not be asked to carry normal load current. there are specific exceptions, for example ranges and dryers in some circumstances..

""what would be the best palliative for that situation?""

Parkinson's "Buckmastership".

if it's a real concern and if you can find a suitable paragraph in your code,
your design department might be able to force them to take out the three prong [strike]plugs[/strike] receptacles and install old fashioned two prong ones with no ground . that should force the issue when they find people cutting off ground prongs.

nobody in a bureaucracy wants to be responsible for a hazardous or illegal design.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
in this country (US) it's a rule that the "ground" conductor must not be asked to carry normal load current. there are specific exceptions, for example ranges and dryers in some circumstances..

""what would be the best palliative for that situation?""

Parkinson's "Buckmastership".

if it's a real concern and if you can find a suitable paragraph in your code,
your design department might be able to force them to take out the three prong [strike]plugs[/strike] receptacles and install old fashioned two prong ones with no ground . that should force the issue when they find people cutting off ground prongs.

nobody in a bureaucracy wants to be responsible for a hazardous or illegal design.

Yeah, and that was the problem in my country of origin... everybody uses (or used) 2-prong receptacles (where the prongs can be connected either way, by the way), and all wiring is (or was) done with 2 wires, so there's no culture of grounding the chassis. I grew up with a refrigerator that I was scared of, because it always gave me an electric shock when I opened its door. Only high-power, tri-phase applications, like a big electric motor, would have a proper grounding.

I was anyway amazed that the said electric technicians would just keep doing what they did out of habit, even when faced with rather clear arguments against that...

dlgoff said:
You could create a Earth ground and connect each outlets ground terminal to it.

This situation was some 20 years ago, but I remember I struggled with a similar option, which was to connect the ground at the outlet to the metal tubes that carried the cables to the outlets, and have these metal tubes grounded.

I didn't propose that, though, because I couldn't estimate the effect of rust on the joints of the tubes; and I was scared what effect a lightning could have, if it leaked through those tubes - might end up in those chassis...

1. What is the purpose of connecting ground to return wire?

The purpose of connecting ground to return wire is to create a complete circuit for the flow of electricity. Grounding serves as a safety measure to prevent electrical shocks and damage to equipment.

2. How is the ground wire connected to the return wire?

The ground wire is typically connected to the return wire at the electrical panel or outlet. The ground wire is attached to the grounding bus bar, which is then connected to the neutral bus bar. This creates a direct path for the electrical current to return to the source.

3. What happens if the ground wire is not connected to the return wire?

If the ground wire is not connected to the return wire, it can result in an open circuit. This means that the flow of electricity is interrupted, and the circuit will not function properly. Additionally, without proper grounding, there is a higher risk of electrical shock and equipment damage.

4. Can the ground wire and return wire be connected to the same point?

Yes, the ground wire and return wire can be connected to the same point, such as the grounding bus bar at the electrical panel. This is because they serve different purposes - the ground wire is for safety, while the return wire is for the flow of electricity.

5. Is connecting ground to return wire necessary for all electrical circuits?

Yes, connecting ground to return wire is necessary for all electrical circuits to ensure safety and proper functioning. It is required by electrical codes and standards to have grounding in all electrical systems, both residential and commercial.