Conservation of Angular Momentum A collapsing Star

In summary, after a collapsing star decreases its radius to half its initial size, the high angular speed of neutron stars is described. The change in the rotational kinetic energy of the star is found using the formula I=2/5MR^2 and the energy is derived from the force of the star's own gravity. To find the change in kinetic energy, conservation of angular momentum is used to determine the change in angular velocity.
dsmwc8
1. After a collapsing star decreases its radius to half its initial size, predict what will happen to its angular velocity(Assume uniform density at all times)Your answer describes the high angular speed of neutron stars. Find the change in the rotational kinetic energy of the star. Where does the energy come from?

I=2/5MR^2 I think the energy comes from the force of the stars own gravity,

I also thought that the angular velocity would increase but I don't know how to find the change in kinetic energy. Any clear explanation would be great, I think I am on the right track but need a little help.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are completely correct about the source of the energy. Find the change in angular velocity using conservation of angular momentum. Use the change in angular velocity to find the change in rotational kinetic energy.

When a star collapses, its radius decreases while its mass remains the same. This means that its moment of inertia, or I, decreases as well, since it is directly proportional to the square of the radius. Therefore, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the angular velocity must increase in order to maintain the same angular momentum. This is because the product of I and angular velocity, L= Iω, must remain constant.

To find the change in rotational kinetic energy, we can use the equation E= ½Iω^2. Since the mass and density of the star are assumed to be uniform, the change in kinetic energy, ΔE, can be expressed as:

ΔE= ½I(Δω)^2

Substituting the value of I= 2/5MR^2, we get:

ΔE= ½(2/5MR^2)(Δω)^2

Since the radius decreases to half its initial size, ΔR= -R/2. Therefore, the change in angular velocity, Δω, can be calculated as:

Δω= ωf- ωi= ω(R/2)^2- ω(R)^2

= ω(R^2/4- R^2)

= ω(3R^2/4)

Substituting this value in the equation for ΔE, we get:

ΔE= ½(2/5MR^2)(ω(3R^2/4))^2

= ½(2/5MR^2)(9ω^2R^4/16)

= 9/32MR^2ω^2

Therefore, the change in rotational kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the initial angular velocity and the square of the initial radius. This means that as the star collapses, the energy is converted from its potential energy (due to its own gravity) to kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in angular velocity.

In conclusion, the conservation of angular momentum and the decrease in moment of inertia lead to an increase in angular velocity and rotational kinetic energy in a collapsing star. The source of this energy is the gravitational force of the star itself.

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum A collapsing Star

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

2. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to a collapsing star?

As a star collapses, its radius decreases, causing its moment of inertia to decrease. However, in order to conserve angular momentum, its angular velocity must increase. This results in a rapid rotation of the collapsing star.

3. Can conservation of angular momentum explain the formation of a disk around a collapsing star?

Yes, conservation of angular momentum can explain the formation of a disk around a collapsing star. As the star collapses, its outer layers start to spin faster due to conservation of angular momentum, and this results in the formation of a disk of gas and dust around the star.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum play a role in the formation of planets?

Conservation of angular momentum is a key factor in the formation of planets. As a protoplanetary disk of gas and dust collapses due to gravity, its rotation increases due to conservation of angular momentum. This rotation causes the disk to flatten and eventually form into planets.

5. Is conservation of angular momentum always conserved in a collapsing star?

While conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics, it may not always be strictly conserved in a collapsing star. For example, if the star has a companion star or is affected by external forces, its angular momentum may change. However, in most cases, conservation of angular momentum is a useful concept for understanding the behavior of collapsing stars.