Conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a stone being dropped from a stationary helicopter 500m above the ground at the equator and calculating how far from the point vertically below the helicopter it lands. The problem involves using the equations of conservation of angular momentum and integrating to find the answer. One person calculates the answer to be 12cm, but another person suggests there may be a mistake in the setup of the equation.
Rudipoo

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from a stationary helicopter 500m above the ground, at the equator. How far from the point vertically below the helicopter does it land?

Homework Equations

Conversation of AM

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the height above the ground it is dropped be h, the radius of the Earth R, the mass of the stone m (which will cancel) and the angular velocity of the Earth w. Then the angular momentum as it's dropped is mw(R+h)^2.

When the particle is at a height y above the Earth's surface, the stone has angular momentum m(R+y)(v_x+v_0) where v_0=(R+h)w is the velocity (in x direction) when it dropped, due to the helicopter being stationary, w.r.t. the Earth.

Now, y=h-0.5g*t^2, and Conservation of AM implies

mw(R+h)^2=m(R+h-0.5g*t^2)(v_x+(R+h)w).

I rearranged for v_x and integrated between t=0 and t'=Sqrt(2h/g), the time for the stone to hit the ground.

I go the answer x=12cm, but it should be x=24cm. Am i performing the integration incorrectly or have I set up the equations wrong?

Thanks, Rupe

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer of 12cm by doing the integral, so it seems like the problem is in your setup. Though I don't immediately see what you might have done incorrectly.

Thanks for your help diazona. That improves my confidence in the integration. I wonder if anyone can see my mistake in setting up the equation?

Thanks.

What is conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle?

Conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as no external torque is applied. This means that the rotational motion of a falling particle will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important in studying falling particles?

Conservation of angular momentum is important in studying falling particles because it helps us understand and predict their rotational motion. It allows us to calculate the final angular velocity of a falling particle and how it changes during its fall.

What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle?

The conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle can be affected by the mass of the particle, its initial velocity, and the distance it falls. The presence of external forces, such as air resistance or friction, can also affect the conservation of angular momentum.

How can the conservation of angular momentum be applied in real-life situations?

The conservation of angular momentum can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports, where athletes use it to enhance their performance, or in engineering, where it is used to design structures and machines that can withstand rotational forces.

Are there any exceptions to the conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle?

There are some situations where the conservation of angular momentum of a falling particle may not hold true, such as when there is a change in the shape or mass distribution of the particle during its fall. Other factors like external torques or non-conservative forces can also cause deviations from the principle of conservation of angular momentum.