Conservation of Energy and Angular Speed.

In summary, the homework statement states that: -The system starts at rest -Moment of inertia for a disk (I believe): I = (1/2)mR^2 -KE = (1/2)m*v^2 -KE of pulley = (1/2)I(v/R)^2 -R = radius .2 m -m1 = 10 kg rock -m2 = 4 kg rock -mp = mass of pulley -Tried reading some things out of my textbook but that didn't help much -Decided to let the PE of each block at it's initial position be 0, so the amount of GPE that is converted to KE is: KE = (10 kg
astro2525

Homework Statement

Use the conservation of energy law to find the speed of the blocks and the angular speed of the pulley when the heavier block hits the ground. The system starts at rest. (going to include picture)
http://i.imgur.com/CjB3gzK.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for a disk (I believe): I = (1/2)mR^2
KE = (1/2)m*v^2
KE of pulley = (1/2)I(v/R)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

R = radius .2 m
m1 = 10 kg rock
m2 = 4 kg rock
mp = mass of pulley

Tried reading some things out of my textbook but that didn't help much =(. Decided to let the PE of each block at it's initial position be 0, so the amount of GPE that is converted to KE is:
KE = (10 kg - 4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(2 m) = 117.6 J

calculate moment of inertia:
I = (1/2)mpR^2 = (1/2)*2*.2^2 = .04 kg*m^2

then the KE of the system:

K = (1/2)(m1 + m2)v^2 + (1/2)I(v/R)^2

K = v^2(1/2)[10 kg + 4 kg + (.04 kg*m^2 / (0.20 m)^2)] = v^2(7.5 kg)

Set v^2(7.5) equal to the available energy that was converted from PE and solve for v:

v = √(117.6 J / 7.5 kg) = 3.96 m/s

Is this stuff even right? I basically just derived it from my textbook and am having a hard time completely understanding it. Really not sure how I would get angular speed .. would it just be ω = v / R?

Rereading this gives me a headache so if anyone helps, I commend you! ;D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key for the angular speed is seeing that the speed of the blocks has to equal the speed of a point on the pulley's surface as it rotates, seeing as the rope doesn't slip.

BeBattey said:
The key for the angular speed is seeing that the speed of the blocks has to equal the speed of a point on the pulley's surface as it rotates, seeing as the rope doesn't slip.

care to elaborate? lol, not sure how I would go about doing that

You've already found the velocity of the block. The velocity of the block must equal the velocity of a point on the pulley's surface. Using that, apply the equation that relates translational speed to rotational speed.

BeBattey said:
You've already found the velocity of the block. The velocity of the block must equal the velocity of a point on the pulley's surface. Using that, apply the equation that relates translational speed to rotational speed.

so it is ω = v / R ?
ω = 3.96 m/s / .20 m = 19.8 rad/s?

Btw, do you happen to know if all the other stuff is right?

I didn't analyze your work equation by equation but the method did seem correct. And yep, your method to find the angular velocity is correct :)

Likes 1 person
BeBattey said:
I didn't analyze your work equation by equation but the method did seem correct. And yep, your method to find the angular velocity is correct :)

Sweet, thanks a lot =D

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How is the conservation of energy related to angular speed?

The conservation of energy is related to angular speed in that angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating. As an object rotates, its kinetic energy and potential energy change, but the total energy of the system remains constant. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

3. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or revolving around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM). It is related to the linear speed of an object by the formula: ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius of rotation.

4. How does conservation of energy apply to real-world scenarios?

The conservation of energy applies to all real-world scenarios in which energy is involved. For example, when a car is in motion, its kinetic energy is constantly changing due to changes in speed, but the total energy of the car and its surroundings remains constant. Similarly, in a roller coaster ride, the potential energy of the coaster is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the track, but the total energy of the system remains the same.

5. What happens when the conservation of energy is violated?

If the conservation of energy is violated, it means that energy has been added or removed from the system, resulting in a change in the total energy. This can happen in situations where there is an external force acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance. In these cases, some of the energy is lost to the surroundings, causing a violation of the conservation of energy.