Conservation of energy and light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of converting mass into energy and then back again, and the potential energy involved in this process. It is determined that moving a mass does not necessarily involve energy being converted and lost, as per Newton's first law.
Nelourir
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure that this fits in the general physics topic but here it is anyway:
If you have a certain mass on a planet that you convert to energy, specifically photons (just because it seems to make sense to me) and 'send' those photons to another planet where they will be converted back to mass, where is the energy needed to 'move' the mass 'gone'?
This is all assuming that the energy conversions are extremely efficient and that no photon is lost.

I'm guessing there must be some sort of potential energy hidden somewhere... But I just can't see it.

Thanks for your help.

Science news on Phys.org
Photon's energy is affected by gravitational field, which is called gravitational redshift.

What happens if the photon goes 'up hill' out of the gravity well but comes down the other planet's well which is, let's say, roughly equal to the source planet? The light blueshifts doesn't it? And how does that explain the apparent gain of energy?

If you go up and down the same potential then there is no change in energy.

Then how can you effectively move mass by converting it into energy then converting it back?

It doesn't use energy to move something. You gain energy by moving down a potential or you require energy to move up a potential, but moving to the same potential doesn't change energy. That comes from Newtons first law.

Does that mean that moving a mass does not necessarily involve some energy being converted (and effectively lost because it is unusable) in the process?

Correct. Have you heard of Newtons first law?

Haha, how didn't I think of that?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to light?

Light is a form of energy, and therefore, the law of conservation of energy applies to it. This means that light cannot be created or destroyed, but can only change forms, such as from visible light to heat energy.

3. How is energy conserved in light sources?

In light sources such as light bulbs, energy is conserved through the process of converting electrical energy into light energy. This conversion is not 100% efficient, so some energy is lost as heat, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

4. Can light itself be conserved?

As light is a form of energy, it follows the law of conservation of energy. However, in practical terms, light can be conserved by using energy-efficient light sources and minimizing unnecessary use of light.

5. How does conservation of energy and light impact the environment?

Conservation of energy and light is important for the environment as it reduces the amount of energy needed to produce light, thereby reducing carbon emissions and slowing down the depletion of natural resources. It also helps to reduce light pollution, which can have negative effects on wildlife and human health.