1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy and work

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 70.4 kg man steps out of a window and falls (from rest) 1.33 m to a sidewalk. at is his speed just before his feet stke the pavement?

If the man falls with his knees and ankles locked, the only cushin for his fall is a 0.508 cm give in the pads of his feet. Calculate the erage force exerted on him bye ground in this situation. The avera force is sufficient to cause cartilage dage in the joints or to break bones.

2. Relevant equations

PE+KE=PE+KE (before and after)
    W=F(xf-xi)cos theta
    W=delta KE
    PE=mgh
    F=ma
    KE=.5mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I already solved the first question and got 5.11 m/s.
    I don't know how to set up the second problem to find the force.
    Please help.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think they want you to calculate the force (acceleration) that will be required if the deceleration is over the space of just 1/2 cm (.508 cm).

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    ok. So F=ma, and I need to find acceleration to finish the problem. So Do I use Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(xf-xi) ? If so do I use 5.11 m/s for Vf and 0 m/s for Vo? Is xf=0 and xi=.508 cm?

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Looks to me like what they are asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook