1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy/Angular Momentum

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is "A wooden block of mass m slides with an initial speed of vi up a straight incline that makes an angle of theta with the horizontal. If the incline is rough with a coefficient of kinetic friction uk, determine the maximum height it rises in terms of h found in part a (which was H = vi^2/2g)"

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of energy
    You can only use m (mass of block), vi (initial velocity), theta, and g (gravity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    KE at the bottom = PE at the top + Work.
    mgh + Fd = 1/2mv^2
    h = [mvi^2 - ukmgcos(theta)d]/mg
    Problem is, I don't know what d is and it can't be part of my final answer. I know it's the distance that the block travels up the ramp, but how do I figure that out?
    Also, since it says in terms of h found in part a, does that mean I set everything equal to vi^2/2g?

How would I do this with a hoop with radius R?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    So, you correctly applied the conservation of mechanical energy. :smile:
    Could you right d as a function of h and [itex]\theta[/itex]? :rolleyes:

The hoop will have in the end not only linear velocity but also angular velocity. Apply again conservation of mechanical energy, but this time consider also the kinetic rotational energy. :tongue:
  4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    Okay this is going to sound really confusing but am I on the right path for the block one?

I got to the point where gh = 1/2(vi)^2 - ukg(cot(theta))h
    At this point, do I plug in what I got for H in part (a) since it wants it says "in terms of h found in part a"? What exactly are they asking me to do?
  5. Jan 11, 2007 #4
    Nevermind. I was being stupid and forgot they are two different H's
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?