Conservation of energy of a dart gun

In summary, the professor told the class there is something wrong with the problems, but I solved them using a different method. I think the problem is with the first part where air friction is ignored.
Electro
Hi!
I have a two-part problem to solve. I think I solved it but in the class the professor told us that there's something wrong with the exercise.

The spring constant of a toy dart gun is 1350 N/m. To cock the gun the spring is compressed 1 cm (0.01 m). The 5g (0.005 kg) dart, fired straight upward, reaches a maximum height of 24 m. g is 9.81 m/s^2. Determine the energy dissipated by air friction during the dart's ascent.

My solution:

E = -1/2 *(k) *(x)^2 + m*g*h
=-0.5*1350* (0.01)^2 + 0.005*9.8*24
= -0.0675 + 1.176 = 1.1085 J
Part 2.

What speed should the projectile have when it returns to its starting point?

Solution: m*g*h = 0.5*m*v^2
v = sqrt(2*g*h)
=sqrt(470.4) = 21.69 m/s

These make sense to me, but i don't know why the professor told me there's something wrong in the problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
2) is inconsistent with 1) since you suddenly ignore air resistance..
might this be what your prof. disliked?
I would agree with him!

For part A, the spring stores a certain amount of potential energy. When the gun is fired, the spring transfer all its potential energy to the bullet in the form of kinetic energy. As the bullet travels upwards this kinetic energy converts into gravitational potential energy. Do you see where the problem is?

Eeh, it seems that air friction has ADDED energy to the system, when I look a bit closer.
this exercise is a complete mess.

Although i think your reasoning for part B would be the correct one. I think you are supposed to ignore air friction on the way down because it says what speed *should* the bullet have.

:smile: In both cases the air resistance is neglected. He said that the exercise doesn't make sense because the numbers come negative. This doesn't happen when I solve the problems. Maybe there's sth wrong in my reasoning? (The professor had different numbers, so maybe there was a typo in his own problem)
I just want to if the way I have solved it makes sense.
Thanx

The air resistance would be negative because:

V(spring) = V(gravitational) + friction

Hence, friction would be V(spring) - V(gravitational). Since V(gravitational) > V(spring), friction is negative (ie, friction causes a net gain in energy). Which is the same thing arildno pointed out and I was implying.

Hey Parth Dave!
In fact I need to find the energy dissipated by air friction. So what I think is:

Energy = Change in PE + Change in KE
= (m*g*h final - m*g*h initial) + (0.5*m*Vfinal ^2 - 0.5*m*Vinitial^2)
initial mgh = 0 (h = 0) and final 0.5*m*Vfinal = 0 (v=0)
So we now have only: Energy = m*g*h final - 0.5*m*Vinitial^2
0.5*m*Vinitial^2 = energy of spring = 0.5*k*x^2
Finally: Energy = m*g*h final - 0.5*k*x^2

Then for part 2, it seems suitable applying: mgh = 0.5mv^2

:smile: The problems are not as difficult as you think. There's no air friction , but we need to find the energy lost by air friction during ascending. Also no wind or any other factor influencing the trajectory of the dart.

Well by the conservation of energy:

Ti + Vi = Tf + Vf + Friction (T = kinetic energy, V = potential) hence,
Vi = 0
Tf = 0
Ti = Vf + friction
friction = Ti - Vf

Or from What you did:
Ti + Vi = Tf + Vf + Friction
0 = Change in T + Change in V + friction
-friction = Change in T + Change in V

Both methods are the same, but you just forgot the negative sign.

Thanks Parth Dave,
In fact the answer was positive.
But the second Part is weird. As I told, I applied: mgh = 0.5mv^2 and hence I found v. BUt the answer was wrong. What might be the problem?

1. What is the conservation of energy in a dart gun?

The conservation of energy in a dart gun refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In a dart gun, this means that the energy used to cock the gun and shoot the dart is the same amount of energy that is transferred to the dart as it is propelled forward.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a dart gun?

The conservation of energy applies to a dart gun through the process of energy conversion. When the gun is cocked and the spring is compressed, potential energy is stored in the spring. When the trigger is pulled, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which propels the dart forward. The total amount of energy remains constant throughout this process.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a dart gun?

The conservation of energy in a dart gun is affected by several factors, including the weight of the dart, the elasticity of the spring, and any external forces acting on the dart. A heavier dart will require more energy to be propelled forward, while a less elastic spring will not transfer as much energy to the dart. External forces such as air resistance can also impact the conservation of energy by reducing the amount of energy transferred to the dart.

4. How can the conservation of energy be applied to improve the performance of a dart gun?

To improve the performance of a dart gun, it is important to maximize the amount of energy transferred to the dart while minimizing any energy losses. This can be achieved by using a lightweight and aerodynamic dart, a highly elastic spring, and reducing any external forces such as air resistance. Additionally, ensuring that the gun is properly maintained and in good working condition can also help to improve its performance and conserve energy.

5. Why is it important to understand the conservation of energy in a dart gun?

Understanding the conservation of energy in a dart gun is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows for the efficient use of energy, ensuring that the most amount of energy is transferred to the dart. This can improve the accuracy and effectiveness of the dart gun. Additionally, understanding the conservation of energy can also help with troubleshooting any performance issues with the gun, as well as promoting safety by preventing the release of excessive energy that could potentially cause harm.