Conservation of energy of falling chimney

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the angular speed of a tall, cylindrical chimney that falls over when its base is ruptured. The solution involves using conservation of energy and setting the initial gravitational potential energy equal to the sum of rotational kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy at any given angle. The formula for rotational kinetic energy and moments of inertia may be needed to solve the problem.
James01

Homework Statement

A tall, cylindrical chimney falls over when its base is ruptured. Assuming that the chimney remains intact before it hits the ground, using conservation of energy, calculate its angular speed [tex]\dot \theta{}[/tex] as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex] , the angle which the chimney makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

Etotal = Ep+Ek

I posted a question yesterday similar to this one. I really do not understand how to tackle this type of question. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do they give any more details?

The gravitational potential energy of the chimney is converted into rotational kinetic energy... have you learned about rotational kinetic energy and moments of inertia?

I don't remember the formula for the rotational KE... but I gather the question is asking you to set the gravitational PE equal to rotational KE... then just isolate the angular speed term...

SpitfireAce said:
I don't remember the formula for the rotational KE... but I gather the question is asking you to set the gravitational PE equal to rotational KE... then just isolate the angular speed term...

Yes, the difference in gravitational potential energy is the rotational kinetic energy.

Calculate the total energy of the system at the beginning [tex]E_i[/tex] which is all gravitational potential energy initally... then at any angle you know by conservation of energy that

[tex]E_i = E_r + E_g[/tex]. (the quantity on the right is rotational kinetic energy plus gravitational potential energy) You can use that to isolate the angular speed...

Last edited:

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a falling chimney?

As the chimney falls, its potential energy (due to its height above the ground) is converted into kinetic energy (due to its motion). This is an example of the conservation of energy, as the total energy of the system (chimney and Earth) remains constant.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a falling chimney?

The key factors that affect the conservation of energy in a falling chimney are the height from which it falls, its mass, and any external forces (such as wind resistance or friction) that may act on it. These factors can impact how much potential energy is converted into kinetic energy during the fall.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a falling chimney?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. The total energy of the system (chimney and Earth) will always remain constant, even if the chimney falls from a great height or experiences external forces during its fall.

5. How is the conservation of energy important in understanding the safety of falling chimneys?

Understanding the conservation of energy can help us predict the potential energy and velocity of a falling chimney, which can be important for ensuring the safety of people and property in the area. It can also help us analyze the structural integrity of the chimney and any potential risks associated with its fall.