1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of Energy,pendulum question

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum consists of a mass on a 50 cm long string. It is being held stationary at a 30┬░angle with the vertical. After release, how fast will it be going at the bottom? (Hint: Use trigonometry to find how high the ball is initally)

2. Relevant equations

Ek = 1/2mv^2 for sure to find the velocity
    Eg = mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm basically brain-dead on this question, I don't know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2
    Draw a diagram first, that always helps.

Hint: Trigonometry, you're going to have to consider cos of the angle in this situation. It's like a force, you need to consider the vertical component of the string. In forces that would be the vertical force, but here it's the length.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Jun 25, 2010 #3
    Yes, draw a diagram with both the initial position and the final postion(bottom-most).
    Then find the height difference between the two positions. It will be a function of the angle.
    And then apply energy conservation.

5. Jun 25, 2010 #4
    So basically I've had a go on the question with the help of the previous posts:
    [PLAIN]http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6052/physicsi.png [Broken]

So to find the left side of the triangle (lets say n):

50 x cos30 = n
    n = 43.3

The string is 50cm
    50 - 43.3 = 6.70 cm
    x = 6.70cm
    =0.0670m

Since Ep @ top = Ek @ bottom
    m x 9.80 x 0.0670 = 1/2mv^2, m's cancel out I think?

0.6566 = 1/2v^2
    sqrt 1.3132 = sqrt v^2
    1.15 m/s = v

I'm not sure about the significant digits, but this is how I tried to solve the question, can anyone confirm the answer?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    Assuming your arithmetic is all correct that looks to be correct, and yes for this relationship your mass is negligible.

Joe

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook