Conservation of Energy,pendulum question

• Thread starter missileblitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conservation
In summary: This can be found by using trigonometry to determine the height difference between the initial and final positions, and applying the principle of energy conservation.
missileblitz

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a mass on a 50 cm long string. It is being held stationary at a 30°angle with the vertical. After release, how fast will it be going at the bottom? (Hint: Use trigonometry to find how high the ball is initally)

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv^2 for sure to find the velocity
Eg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm basically brain-dead on this question, I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram first, that always helps.

Hint: Trigonometry, you're going to have to consider cos of the angle in this situation. It's like a force, you need to consider the vertical component of the string. In forces that would be the vertical force, but here it's the length.

Last edited:
Yes, draw a diagram with both the initial position and the final postion(bottom-most).
Then find the height difference between the two positions. It will be a function of the angle.
And then apply energy conservation.

So basically I've had a go on the question with the help of the previous posts:
[PLAIN]http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6052/physicsi.png

So to find the left side of the triangle (lets say n):

50 x cos30 = n
n = 43.3

The string is 50cm
50 - 43.3 = 6.70 cm
x = 6.70cm
=0.0670m

Since Ep @ top = Ek @ bottom
m x 9.80 x 0.0670 = 1/2mv^2, m's cancel out I think?

0.6566 = 1/2v^2
sqrt 1.3132 = sqrt v^2
1.15 m/s = v

I'm not sure about the significant digits, but this is how I tried to solve the question, can anyone confirm the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming your arithmetic is all correct that looks to be correct, and yes for this relationship your mass is negligible.

Joe

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to a pendulum?

In a pendulum, the law of conservation of energy is demonstrated through the constant exchange of potential and kinetic energy. As the pendulum swings back and forth, its potential energy is at its maximum at the highest point and its kinetic energy is at its maximum at the lowest point. This exchange continues as long as there is no external force acting on the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a pendulum?

The formula for potential energy in a pendulum is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum at a given point.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its energy conservation?

The length of a pendulum does not affect the conservation of energy, but it does affect the speed and period of the pendulum's swing. Longer pendulums have a longer period and slower swing, while shorter pendulums have a shorter period and faster swing.

5. What factors can affect the conservation of energy in a pendulum?

The conservation of energy in a pendulum can be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance. These forces can cause energy to be lost from the system, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the pendulum's swing over time.