Conservation of Energy Problem with spring

In summary, the ball will fly up to a maximum height of .350kg and have an initial kinetic energy of 875N.
JacksonL

Homework Statement

A vertical Spring (ignoring mass) whose spring constant is 875N/m is attached to a table and is compressed down by .160m. What upward speed can it give to a .350kg ball when released? How high up its original position will the ball fly?

Homework Equations

Spring constant = 1/2Kx^2
Potential energy with gravity = mgh

I'm guessing my equation would look something like this?

1/2mv1+mgy1=1/2mv2+1/2kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right so far. This is all I've gotten to.

Physics news on Phys.org
any assistance?

Ok tell me if you have studied these things.
1) Kinetic Energy
2) Potential Energy
2) Work Energy Theorem

Yes I've learned about each of those.

I asked it because the formulas written are not correct.

The work energy theorem is:

1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2.

Translational kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2

JacksonL said:
The work energy theorem is:

1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2.

That doesn't make any sense. The work energy theorem is an equation, and should have a left hand side and an equal sign. And 1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2 = 0. Please put the relevant subscripts.

At any rate, you don't need that form of the work-energy theorem here.

You do need this, though:

Translational kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2

And this is written correctly. You don't need [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] here, because the ball starts at rest. Just use one variable for the speed at which the ball is launched, [itex]v[/itex].

When solving this, consider the spring and ball as a single system. You compress the spring with the ball on top of it, release it, the spring stretches to its original length carrying the ball with it, following which the ball continues to move vertically upward (it's "launched"). Now ask yourself the following:

1) When the spring is fully compressed, what form of energy resides in the system? How do you calculate this?

2) As the spring is released and is relaxing to its original length, what energy transformations are taking place? What energy is decreasing? What's (or what are) increasing?

3) Finally, when the spring attains its original length, what forms of energy exist in the system?

Equate the energy in state 1 to that in state 3 with Conservation of Energy. Now write down the relevant equations. You can now solve for the initial kinetic energy and thereby, the initial upward speed of the ball at the point of launch.

Continuing on, the ball travels upward until it reaches a maximum height, when it becomes momentarily stationary.

4) What form of energy exists in the ball at this time? Again use conservation of energy to solve for the maximum height the ball attains. Remember that this height is taken from the point of launching. The question is asking for how high the ball gets from its *original* position. What do you need to do?

Last edited:

1. What is the Conservation of Energy Problem with spring?

The Conservation of Energy Problem with spring refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed from one form to another. In the context of a spring, this means that the potential energy stored in the spring when it is compressed or stretched is equal to the kinetic energy of the spring when it is released.

2. How is the Conservation of Energy applied to a spring?

The Conservation of Energy is applied to a spring by considering the potential energy stored in the spring when it is compressed or stretched, and the kinetic energy of the spring when it is released. The total energy remains constant, and the energy is simply transferred between potential and kinetic forms.

3. What factors affect the Conservation of Energy in a spring?

The Conservation of Energy in a spring is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillations. These factors can impact the potential and kinetic energies of the spring, and therefore affect the conservation of energy principle.

4. How is the Conservation of Energy Problem with spring relevant to real-world applications?

The Conservation of Energy Problem with spring is relevant to real-world applications in many areas, including engineering, physics, and technology. Understanding the conservation of energy in a spring can help in designing and optimizing devices such as shock absorbers, bungee cords, and trampolines.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Conservation of Energy Problem with spring?

No, the Conservation of Energy Principle is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all systems, including springs. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be other factors at play, such as friction or air resistance, which can result in some energy loss. But overall, the total energy of the system remains constant.