Conservation of Linear Momentum and spring compression

In summary, when the rocket motor is disengaged, the space vehicle's speed relative to the command module decreases by 86 km/h.
G-reg

Homework Statement

Particle A and particle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 5.00 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 111 J. Assume that the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of each particle?

Homework Equations

mass of particle A = 5 times mass of particle B

KE(before) = KE(after)
(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)mv^2
The sum of KE(before and after) = 111J

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)mv^2 = 111J
mv^2 + mv^2 = 222J
5(mass of A)v^2 + (mass of B)v^2 = 222J

and I'm not sure how I can find the individual masses from there
any suggestions on how I might be able to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi G-reg, welcome to PF.
Before separation, both particles are at rest. So after separation momentum must be conserved.
Hence m1v1 = m1v2.
Now you have two unknowns and two equations. Solve them.

Okay, thanks I got it!
Here is another one that I think is similar but it's still giving me trouble..

A space vehicle is traveling at 6000 km/h relative to the Earth when the exhausted rocket motor is disengaged and sent backward with a speed of 86 km/h relative to the command module. The mass of the motor is four times the mass of the module. What is the speed of the command module relative to Earth just after the separation?

so I know that m1v1=m2v2
being that m1(6000)=m2(86)
and then I would substitute 4m2 for m1 to get m2

am I going about this the right way?

1. What is the conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects is the same.

2. How does the conservation of linear momentum apply to spring compression?

In the case of a spring, the conservation of linear momentum can be seen when a mass is dropped onto a compressed spring. The initial momentum of the mass is transferred to the spring, causing it to compress. When the spring reaches its maximum compression and starts to expand, the momentum is transferred back to the mass, causing it to bounce back up with the same velocity as it had before the collision.

3. What is the role of mass in the conservation of linear momentum?

Mass plays a crucial role in the conservation of linear momentum. The total momentum of a system is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. Therefore, the more massive an object is, the greater its momentum will be. This means that in a closed system, the total mass will remain constant, and any changes in momentum will be reflected in changes in velocity.

4. How does the conservation of linear momentum relate to Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, their forces are equal and opposite. In terms of the conservation of linear momentum, this means that the total momentum of the two objects will be the same before and after the interaction, as the forces are balanced.

5. Is the conservation of linear momentum always valid?

Yes, the conservation of linear momentum is always valid in a closed system. This means that the system must be isolated from any external forces or influences. In real-world situations, external forces such as friction can affect the momentum of objects, but as long as the system is closed, the total momentum will remain constant.