Conservation of mechanical energy for skier on sphere

In summary, the skier of mass m will slide down a frictionless surface of a solid sphere with radius r and leave the sphere at an angle θ. To determine θ, we can set up equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, and force, using Newton's 2nd law and considering force components perpendicular to the surface. By setting up these equations, we can solve for θ and determine the angle at which the skier will leave the sphere.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

A skier of mass m starts from rest at the top of a solid sphere of radius r and slides down its frictionless surface. At what angle θ will the skier leave the sphere?

Homework Equations

KE= 0.5mv^2
PE = mgh
Fc = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really quite confused and don't even know how to begin. I know that the skier will fall off when the normal force is 0 but I'm not sure how to even get to that point.
I thought that PE=KE so 0.5mv^2 = mgh which simplifies to 0.5v^2 = gh

Physics news on Phys.org
NathanLeduc1 said:
I know that the skier will fall off when the normal force is 0 but I'm not sure how to even get to that point.
That's the key point. To make use of it, set up a force equation with Newton's 2nd law.
I thought that PE=KE so 0.5mv^2 = mgh which simplifies to 0.5v^2 = gh
Good. You'll need that too. (Express h in terms of θ.)

So rewriting the energy equations gives me
v^2 / 2 = grsin(θ).

When I write the force equations, I get
N-mg = ma
N = mg + mg
N = m(a+g)
m = N/(a+g)

If I plug that into the centripetal force equation, I get
F = (mv^2)/r
F = (Nv^2)/((r)(a+g))

Is this right? If so, where do I go from here? Sorry to ask such dumb questions, I'm just very confused on this problem.

NathanLeduc1 said:
So rewriting the energy equations gives me
v^2 / 2 = grsin(θ).
What you want is Δh, the drop from the original position at the top. Δh ≠ r sinθ.

When I write the force equations, I get
N-mg = ma
N = mg + mg
N = m(a+g)
m = N/(a+g)
Careful! Forces are vectors.

Hint: Consider force components perpendicular to the surface at any point.

, but I don't know how to incorporate the radius of the sphere into this equation.

I would like to clarify that the conservation of mechanical energy principle states that the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. In this case, the skier-sphere system is isolated, meaning there are no external forces acting on it, so the total mechanical energy will remain constant.

To solve for the angle θ at which the skier will leave the sphere, we can use the conservation of mechanical energy principle and equate the initial mechanical energy (when the skier is at the top of the sphere) to the final mechanical energy (when the skier is at the point of leaving the sphere).

At the top of the sphere, the skier's potential energy is mgh, where h is the height of the skier from the ground. Since the skier is at rest, the initial kinetic energy is 0.

At the point of leaving the sphere, the skier's potential energy is 0, since the skier is at ground level. The final kinetic energy is given by 0.5mv^2, where v is the speed of the skier at that point.

Since the total mechanical energy remains constant, we can equate the initial and final mechanical energies to get:

mgh = 0.5mv^2

We can then rearrange this equation to solve for the speed v:

v = √(2gh)

Now, we can use this value of v in the equation for centripetal force (Fc = (mv^2)/r) to solve for the radius r of the sphere:

Fc = (mv^2)/r

Substituting the value of v we just found, we get:

Fc = (m√(2gh)^2)/r

Simplifying, we get:

Fc = (2mgh)/r

Since the skier will leave the sphere when the normal force (Fc) is 0, we can set this equation equal to 0 and solve for the angle θ:

0 = (2mgh)/r

Solving for θ, we get:

θ = sin^-1 (r/2h)

Therefore, the skier will leave the sphere at an angle of sin^-1 (r/2h).

1. What is the conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How does the conservation of mechanical energy apply to a skier on a sphere?

A skier on a sphere is an example of a closed system, as the sphere and the skier are the only objects involved in the system. The conservation of mechanical energy applies to the skier on the sphere because the total amount of energy in the system (kinetic energy and potential energy) remains constant as the skier moves down the slope.

3. What are the types of energy involved in the conservation of mechanical energy for a skier on a sphere?

The two types of energy involved in the conservation of mechanical energy for a skier on a sphere are kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state.

4. How does the conservation of mechanical energy affect the speed of a skier on a sphere?

According to the law of conservation of mechanical energy, the total amount of energy in a closed system must remain constant. This means that as potential energy decreases (when the skier moves down the slope), kinetic energy must increase to maintain the total energy level. This results in the skier's speed increasing as they move down the slope.

5. Are there any factors that could affect the conservation of mechanical energy for a skier on a sphere?

Yes, there are several factors that could affect the conservation of mechanical energy for a skier on a sphere. These include friction, air resistance, and the skier's body position. Friction and air resistance can cause a loss of energy in the system, while the skier's body position can affect the distribution of energy between potential and kinetic energy.