Conservation of Mechanical Energy on a Roller Coaster

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a roller coaster at an amusement park. The students attempt to solve for the speed of the car at a certain point using energy arguments. There is an error in the book for the first part, and the second part is deemed ambiguous and poorly written. The experts in the conversation provide more accurate solutions to the problem.
Foopyblue

Homework Statement

A roller coaster at an amusement park is at rest on top of a 30 m hill (point A). The car starts to roll down the hill and reaches point B which is 10 m above the ground, and then rolls up the track to point C, which is 20 m above the ground.
(A) A student assumes no energy is lost, and solves for how fast the car is moving at point C using energy arguments. What answer does he get?
(B) If the final speed at C is actually measured to be 2 m/s, what percentage of energy was "lost" and where did it go?
2u8xq2v.jpg

Homework Equations

Kf + Uf = Ki + Uf
K = 1/2mv2
Ug = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe there is a typo in the book for Part A, I think they got the height wrong, their answer is 20 m/s. For Part B, I think I did something wrong because the height error has been corrected.

My Work for Part A:
I set potential energy at A equal to kinetic energy at C. My reference point is considering the height of C as ground level.

mgh = 1/2mv2
gh = 1/2v2
10*10 = 1/2v2
100 = 1/2v2
200 = v2
14 = v

Their Work for Part A
2ldkawy.jpg

My Work for Part B

Find ratio of Final Energy to Initial Energy and subtract from 100%
[itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}mv^2}{mgh}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}v^2}{gh}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}*2^2}{10*10}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2}{100}[/itex]

2%

So 98% is lost to heat. This is radically different from their answer:

2qsxlpl.jpg

For this part I again used a reference height of the height at C, but am I not allowed to do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They seem to have messed up; they solved for the speed at point B. I agree with your answer for the speed at point C

You still messed up for part B, though. You seem to be saying the total energy of the system is m*g*10

If I set my reference height of C as ground level, is that not the total energy of the system? It has no Kinetic at point A, all Potential, right?

Foopyblue said:
If I set my reference height of C as ground level, is that not the total energy of the system? It has no Kinetic at point A, all Potential, right?
Ah, good point; the question is ambiguous because the answer depends on where you choose the zero for your potential. The reason the answer differs so much is because they chose their PE=0 at the actual ground.

Likes Foopyblue
view the attached file please for your answer

Attachments

• DSCN0178.JPG
    DSCN0178.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 715
Arjun J said:
view the attached file please for your answer
I hate to bother you Arjun but I'm having trouble reading it because of the quality, do you have another picture you could upload?

Please do check this. I have attached a clearer image. Please do reply if the information was good. Thank you. Always happy to help. :) the variable of gravity g changes with height so the h should not be changed
DSCN0180.JPG

Last edited:
My calculator has something else for 202/300

Nathanael said:
Ah, good point; the question is ambiguous because the answer depends on where you choose the zero for your potential. The reason the answer differs so much is because they chose their PE=0 at the actual ground.
The answer does not depend on the choice for zero potential. That's the fun of potentials in general: the only thing that matters is the difference in potential. It's about ##\Delta h##, not about ##h## itself.

The textbook and I both agree that there was a change in height of 10 m, but where we differ is that they are calculating the potential energy from the height above the ground(30m) while I am calculating the potential energy from the height above point C(10m). That's why their ratio is different from mine, at least I think.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
The answer does not depend on the choice for zero potential. That's the fun of potentials in general: the only thing that matters is the difference in potential. It's about ##\Delta h##, not about ##h## itself.
Yes, but in this case it's a bit different, isn't it? Because we're calculating the percentage change in energy... which is ("final energy") / ("initial energy"), but this is ambiguous because as you said, only changes in potential energy make sense, so neither final energy nor initial energy are clearly defined (and the ambiguity does not cancel out).

The answer would be, (KE+C) / (10*mg+C) Where "C" represents the arbitrary potential energy due to the choice of where the zero potential is. This depends on C; the bigger C is, the closer the expression will be to 1. Their solution chose C=20*mg and the OP chose C=0.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
I humbly agree. If there was any percentage worth mentioning here it is indeed 98%.
Kinetic energy ideally 10 m x mg turns out to be only 0.5 x (2m/s)2.

It's not the book answer that is wrong, it's the book question that is disastrously bad. Kudos for Foopy for not going with that nonsense -- and idem for Nathaniel

Likes Nathanael

What is conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster?

Conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster is the principle that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that the potential energy and kinetic energy of the roller coaster are constantly changing, but the sum of these energies remains the same.

How does a roller coaster demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy?

A roller coaster demonstrates conservation of mechanical energy through its design and motion. As the coaster travels along the track, it goes through a series of hills and loops, which cause changes in potential and kinetic energy. However, the total amount of energy remains the same throughout the ride.

Why is conservation of mechanical energy important on a roller coaster?

Conservation of mechanical energy is important on a roller coaster because it ensures that the ride is safe and efficient. If the roller coaster did not follow this principle, it could potentially run out of energy or cause dangerous fluctuations in speed.

What factors affect the conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster?

The main factors that affect the conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster are the height of the hills, the speed of the coaster, and the mass of the train and riders. These factors determine the potential and kinetic energy of the system at different points on the track.

How does friction impact the conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster?

Friction can impact the conservation of mechanical energy on a roller coaster by converting some of the coaster's energy into heat. This means that the roller coaster will lose some of its potential and kinetic energy as it goes through the track, leading to a slower and less intense ride experience.