Conservation of momentum and toboggan

In summary, a runaway toboggan of mass 8.6 kg moving horizontally at 23 km/h has 15 kg of snow dropped onto it as it passes under a tree. The correct equation to use for the inelastic collision is (mv1 in) + (mv2 in) = (m1+m2)(Vfin), taking into account the conservation of momentum. The previous equation used was for the conservation of kinetic energy, which does not apply in this situation.
jaded18
a runaway toboggan of mass 8.6 kg is moving horizontally at 23 km/h. as it passes under a tree 15 kg of snow drop onto it.
___
isn't the ans 13.88 if we use conservation of momentum equation (.5mv1 initial + 0.5mv2 initial) = (0.5mv1 final + 0.5 mv2final) --> (0.5 (8.6) (23^2)) = (0.5 (8.6+15)(v2^2)) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not doing momentum properly. What is the definition of momentum?

well, actually, i guess i had used the conservation statement for kinetic energy and not the conservation for momentum... and so i should use (mv 1 initial) (mv 2 initial) = (mv 1 final) (mv 1 initial) but why is it again that i cannot use what i used in #1??

becuase it is an inelastic collision and there is energy loss?

nvm, ignore #4, i don't know what I am talking about

oh haha, ok, i take that back. it IS an inelastic collision and so the equation i must use is (mv1 in) + (mv2 in) = (m1+m2)(Vfin)

jaded18 said:
oh haha, ok, i take that back. it IS an inelastic collision and so the equation i must use is (mv1 in) + (mv2 in) = (m1+m2)(Vfin)

yes, exactly.

Related to Conservation of momentum and toboggan

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on it.

How does conservation of momentum apply to tobogganing?

In tobogganing, the momentum of the toboggan and the rider's body must be conserved throughout the ride. This means that the initial momentum of the toboggan and rider must equal the final momentum at the end of the ride, taking into account any external forces like friction or air resistance.

What happens to the momentum of a toboggan and rider during a turn?

During a turn, the momentum of the toboggan and rider is conserved by transferring some of the momentum from the original direction of motion to the direction of the turn. This is why the rider leans and shifts their weight to one side of the toboggan.

Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it can appear to be violated if external forces are not taken into account, such as friction or air resistance.

How does the mass of the toboggan and rider affect conservation of momentum?

The mass of the toboggan and rider does not affect conservation of momentum. As long as there are no external forces acting on the system, the total momentum will remain constant regardless of the mass of the objects involved.