Conservation of momentum, confused about variables

In summary, the conversation is about a conservation of momentum lab where two objects are collided together and the velocity before and after the collision are measured. The problem is to compare the momentum before and after the collision. The hypothesis asks to relate the initial given velocity to the responding variable in an if...then... format. The change in momentum during collision depends on the masses and initial velocities of the colliding bodies. The question is whether the responding variable is the velocity or momentum. The expert suggests that momentum would be a better answer as it considers both mass and velocity.
shredder666

Homework Statement

In a conservation of momentum lab, two objects were collided together, velocity before and after the collision were measured.

The problem asks how the momentum compares before and after

I'm really confused about the variables here...

In the hypothesis it asks to relate the momentum of a system before and after collision into a "if...manipulated is... then...responding is" format

How do I write it into an if...then... format?!?

I realize that the independent/manipulated variable is the initial given velocity but I'm confused about the responding variable, Is it the after crash velocity or the after crash momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
The change in momentum of colliding bodies during collision depends on their masses and their initial velocities. So compare the momentum of each body taking into account its mass and velocity.

well I realize that but I'm more concerned about the responding variable

Is it the velocity or the momentum?

shredder666 said:
well I realize that but I'm more concerned about the responding variable

Is it the velocity or the momentum?

Both.

well... I have to choose from 1 of them... which would be a better answer?

shredder666 said:
well... I have to choose from 1 of them... which would be a better answer?
Momentum,. Because it takes into account of both mass and velocity.

Last edited:

Related to Conservation of momentum, confused about variables

1) What is the definition of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum before an event is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

2) How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3) What are the variables involved in conservation of momentum?

The variables involved in conservation of momentum are mass, velocity, and time. These variables are used to calculate the total momentum of a system before and after an event.

4) Can momentum be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of momentum, momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred between objects within a closed system.

5) How does conservation of momentum apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum applies to many real-world situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and even the movement of planets in the solar system. It is a fundamental principle in physics and has many practical applications.