How to write conservation of momentum hypothesis in if-then format

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
shredder666
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a conservation of momentum lab, two objects were collided together, velocity before and after the collision were measured.

The problem asks how the momentum compares before and after

I'm really confused about the variables here...

In the hypothesis it asks to relate the momentum of a system before and after collision into a "if...manipulated is... then...responding is" format

How do I write it into an if...then... format?!?

I realize that the independent/manipulated variable is the initial given velocity but I'm confused about the responding variable, Is it the after crash velocity or the after crash momentum?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The change in momentum of colliding bodies during collision depends on their masses and their initial velocities. So compare the momentum of each body taking into account its mass and velocity.
 
well I realize that but I'm more concerned about the responding variable

Is it the velocity or the momentum?
 
shredder666 said:
well I realize that but I'm more concerned about the responding variable

Is it the velocity or the momentum?

Both.
 
well... I have to choose from 1 of them... which would be a better answer?
 
shredder666 said:
well... I have to choose from 1 of them... which would be a better answer?
Momentum,. Because it takes into account of both mass and velocity.
 
Last edited: