Conservation of Momentum Elastic Collision Problem

In summary, the problem involves using the law of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy to derive two equations for the final velocities of two masses in a system. These equations, referred to as "Theorem 1" and "Theorem 2," involve the masses and initial velocities of both masses, as well as the final velocities. By rearranging and dividing these equations, a simple relation between the final velocities can be found. Another approach is to use the reference frame of the center of mass, where the total momentum is zero and it is easier to find the final velocities.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

I am basically being asked to use the law of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy to derive two equations for the final velocity of the two masses involved in the system. (i.e. [tex]\acute{v_{1}}[/tex] and [tex]\acute{v_{2}}[/tex])

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum: [tex]m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2} = m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}+m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}[/tex] (Simply referred to as Therom 1)

Conservation of Kinetic Energy: [tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}v_{2}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2}[/tex] (Simply referred to as Therom 2)

For both equations: [tex]m_{1}\neq m_{2} , v_{1}>v_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we can get rid of the fractions from Therom 2 by simple factoring and multiplication:
[tex]m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2} = m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}^{2}+m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2}[/tex]

Then we can solve for an arbitrary final velocity, say [tex]\acute{v_{1}}[/tex], with Theorm 1:
[tex]m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2} = m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}+m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}[/tex]

a.[tex]m_{1}\acute{v_{1}} = m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2}-m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}[/tex]

b.[tex]\acute{v_{1}} = \frac{m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2}-m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}}{m_{1}}[/tex]

c.[tex]\acute{v_{1}} = \frac{m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}\left(v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}\right)}{m_{1}}[/tex]

Now we solve for [tex]\acute{v_{2}}[/tex] by substituing in for [tex]\acute{v_{1}}[/tex] the equation that we just solved for:
a.[tex]m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2} = m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}^{2}+m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2}[/tex]

b.[tex]m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2} = m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2}-m_{1}\acute{v_{1}}^{2}[/tex]

c.[tex]m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2} = m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2}-m_{1}\left(\frac{m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}\left(v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}\right)}{m_{1}}\right)^{2}[/tex]
(the [tex]\frac{1}{m_{1}^{2}}[/tex] and the [tex]m_{1}[/tex] will cancel out one of the [tex]\frac{1}{m_{1}^{2}}[/tex]'s to get...)

d.[tex]m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2} = m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2}-\frac{m_{1}^{2}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}^{2}\left(v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}\right)^{2}}{m_{1}}[/tex]

Basically its at this point were my brain explodes from all of the m's and v's and their appropriate subscripts. I still have a [tex]\acute{v_{2}}[/tex] on the wrong side of the equals sign and have no idea how to get it on the right side other than voodoo magic and satanic rituals (not really but I'm almost at that point). Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very nice method to derive the formulas for v1' and v2': Arrange both equations so that the quantities with index "1" are on one side and those with index "2" on the other side.

m1v1-m1v1'= m2v2'-m2v2

and

m1v12-m1v1'2= m2v2'2-m2v22

Factor the second equation and divide by the first one., you get a very simple relation between the velocities. Try.

ehild

From theorem I you get
m1v1 - m1v1' = m2v2' - m2v2-------(1)
From theorem 2 you get
m1v1^2 - m1v1'^2 = m1v2'^2 - m2v2^2-------(2)
Dividing 1 by 2 you get
(v1-v1')/(v1^2 - v1'^2) = (v2' - v2)/(v2'^2 - v2^2)
On simplification you get
v1 + v1' = v2 + v2'----(3)
Substitute the value of v2' in eq. no.1 to get v1'.

Ok I understand the whole dividing the two equations part but I am stuck trying to solve for the general equation. This is what I have:

[tex]\frac{v_{1}-\acute{v_{1}}}{v_{1}^{2}-\acute{v_{1}^{2}}}=\frac{v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}}{v_{2}^{2}-\acute{v_{2}^{2}}}[/tex]

I am not sure where to go from here. I tried to cross multiply but it looked like it would get messy so i gave that up and now I don't know where to go.

efekwulsemmay said:
d.[tex]m_{2}\acute{v_{2}}^{2} = m_{1}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}v_{2}^{2}-\frac{m_{1}^{2}v_{1}^{2}+m_{2}^{2}\left(v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}\right)^{2}}{m_{1}}[/tex]

Basically its at this point were my brain explodes from all of the m's and v's and their appropriate subscripts. I still have a [tex]\acute{v_{2}}[/tex] on the wrong side of the equals sign and have no idea how to get it on the right side other than voodoo magic and satanic rituals (not really but I'm almost at that point). Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

However complicated it may seem, it's only a quadratic in [itex] v_2^' [/itex]. just multiply everything out and group the powers of [itex] v_2^' [/itex].

A more elegant way to do this is to use the reference frame of the center of mass of m1 and m2

the speed of the center of mass is:

[tex] u = \frac {m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2} {m_1 + m_2} [/tex]

now the new speeds [itex] w_1 [/itex] and [itex] w_2 [/itex] are [itex] v_1 - u [/itex] and [itex] v_2 - u [/itex].

In this new reference frame, total momentum is 0, and it is much easier to find [itex] w_1^' [itex] and [itex] w_2^' [itex]

efekwulsemmay said:
Ok I understand the whole dividing the two equations part but I am stuck trying to solve for the general equation. This is what I have:

[tex]\frac{v_{1}-\acute{v_{1}}}{v_{1}^{2}-\acute{v_{1}^{2}}}=\frac{v_{2}-\acute{v_{2}}}{v_{2}^{2}-\acute{v_{2}^{2}}}[/tex]

I am not sure where to go from here. I tried to cross multiply but it looked like it would get messy so i gave that up and now I don't know where to go.

Now factorize the denominator.
v1^2 - v1'^2 = (v1 + v1')*(v1 - v1')
On simplification you get
v1 +v1' = v2 + v2'
Write v2' =... and substitute in the eq. 1 to get v1'

1. What is the conservation of momentum in an elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum in an elastic collision states that the total momentum of a system of objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the system after the collision. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, regardless of any individual objects' changes in velocity.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no net loss of kinetic energy. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any deformation or loss of energy due to friction or other external forces.

3. How is the conservation of momentum calculated in an elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum is calculated by adding up the individual momenta of all the objects involved in the collision before and after the collision. This total momentum should be the same before and after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. What are the key assumptions in solving conservation of momentum elastic collision problems?

The key assumptions in solving conservation of momentum elastic collision problems are that the collision is elastic, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy, and that there are no external forces acting on the system. It is also assumed that the objects involved in the collision can be treated as point masses, and that the collision occurs in a closed system.

5. How can conservation of momentum be applied in real-world situations?

The conservation of momentum can be applied in real-world situations such as car crashes, billiard balls colliding, or even in rocket propulsion systems. By understanding the principles of conservation of momentum, scientists and engineers can accurately predict the outcomes of these collisions and design systems that are more efficient and safe.