What is the angle and speed of Ball One after colliding with Ball Two in midair?

In summary, the problem involves two balls colliding in midair with given masses and energies. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are relevant equations. After solving for the velocity of one ball, the book's given answer is close but not exact and it is suggested to use only the conservation of momentum for the solution.
cep

Homework Statement

Ball One: 0.4 kg, energy 100J before collision.
Ball Two: 0.6 kg, energy 112J before collision.

Two balls are thrown at each other and collide in midair. Ball Two flies off at an angle 32º below the horizontal with an energy of 95J. At what angle and speed did Ball One move away from the collision?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum, conservation of kinetic energy.

KE=1/2*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to find the angle of deflection, but I thought I could get the velocity of the ball as follows:

The total kinetic energy in the system should be conserved, so KE1i+KE2i = KE tot

KEtot-KE2f = KE1f = 1/2*m1*v1f^2

v1f = sqrt (2KE1f/m1) = sqrt (2*(222-95)/0.4) = 25.1 m/s

The answer in the back of the book is 20 m/s, 40º above the horizontal. Keep in mind, this is a first edition textbook, so answers are often incorrect. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
No angle of collision is specified; the diagram in the book makes it look as though both balls are traveling along in the x-direction only.

cep, I get an answer that is very close to your book, 21.4 m/s and 41.4 degrees.
I don't think you can assume conservation of kinetic energy. In my experience working these types of problems it needs to be stated a) that kinetic energy is conserved, or b) that the collision is "elastic", if you are to use the conservation of kinetic energy. You can do the problem using only the conservation of momentum and the definition of kinetic energy.
The momentum before the collision can be found using the masses given and the velocities calculated from the equation for kinetic energy for each mass. Of course this is along the x axis. The momentum along the y-axis is zero.
After the collision, since momentum is conserved, the momentum along each axis must be the same as before the collision. The problem gives you the energy and angle for ball 2. You should be able to resolve ball 2's velocity into components and use the conservation of momentum to find ball 1's velocity components.
Does this make sense?

What bacon stated is correct.Here you may only make use of the conservation of momentum along the x-axis and the y axis

As for answer ,I guess bacon's is correct.They seems more accurate than those on your book.

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the combined momentum of all objects in the system does not change, even if individual objects may experience changes in momentum.

How is conservation of momentum related to collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because the force exerted on one object by the other is equal and opposite, resulting in a transfer of momentum between the objects. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How does conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

Conservation of momentum is applicable in various real-life situations, such as in sports, transportation, and everyday activities. For example, when a person jumps off a moving skateboard, the skateboard will move in the opposite direction with the same momentum as the person's jump. In car accidents, the principle of conservation of momentum helps to explain the transfer of energy and the resulting damage to the vehicles involved.

What is the relationship between conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

Conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are both fundamental principles in physics that are related but distinct. While conservation of momentum states that momentum remains constant in a closed system, kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In a closed system, the total kinetic energy may change due to external forces, but the total momentum will remain constant.