1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of motion and basketball shot

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    A basketball of mass 0.624 kg is shot from a vertical height of 1.55 m and at a speed of 12.1 m/s. After reaching its maximum height, the ball moves into the hoop on its downward path, at 3.05 m above the ground. Using the principle of energy conservation, determine how fast the ball is moving just before it enters the hoop.

v=√(v0^2+2g(y0-y))

I've tried plugging the numbers in an I come up with an answer of 13.26 m/s. However this is incorrect. I believe I might be thinking of where the ball is being shot from differently.

v=√((12.1^2)+2(9.81)(1.55-3.05)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dominic.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It looks like you have the formula correct, and you have put the numbers in correctly, but you must have made a mistake doing the calculation. You are taking the 12.1^2, adding a negative number, then taking the square root, so the answer needs to come out less than 12.1 m/s. Check the calculation again.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Got thanks! I actually just calculated the balls maximum height and then treated it as a free fall problem.

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Glad to help. Don't forget the Thanks button!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted