Conservation of relativistic momentum and energy

In summary, we are given the decay of a K0 meson into two charged pions in a bubble chamber with a magnetic field. We are asked to find the momenta, speeds, and mass of the particles involved. Using equations for force and momentum, we can determine the velocities of the pions and verify our solutions using a relativistic equation.
FllOnBlckDys57

Homework Statement

The K0 meson is an uncharged member of the particle "zoo" that decays into two charged pions according to K0 ---> π+ + π-. The pions have opposite charges as indicated, and the same mass, mπ=140MeV/c^2. Suppose that a K0 at rest decays into two pions in a bubble chamber in which a magnetic field of 2.0T is present. If the radius of curvature of the pions is 34.4cm, find (a) the momenta and speeds of the pions and (b) the mass of the K0 meson.

mπ=140MeV/c^2

r=0.344m

B=2.0T

Problem figure:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/171/physpr.jpg

Homework Equations

F=qv x B

F=ma

F=m(v^2/r)

E^2=p^2c^2+(mc^2)^2

p=mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)

E(K0)=E∏+ + E∏-

P(K0)=P∏+ + P∏-

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this problem should be started by first solving for the velocity of the particles. This could be done by combining F=qv x B and F=m(v^2/r) into m(v^2/r)=qv x B.

However, the charge (q) would still be unknown. Do pions have a standard charge? I can't seem to find it in my book. Or am I approaching this problem the wrong way?

Thanks!Update:

I am pretty sure a positive pion has a charge of 1.602E-19 C and a negative pion has an opposite charge.

I solved for the mass of the pions in kg: (140MeV/c^2)(1.783x10^-30kg/1MeV)=2.4962x10^-28 kgI then plugged these values into my equation:m(v^2/r)=qvB

(2.4962x10^-28kg)(v^2/(0.344m))=(1.602x10^-19 C)(V)(2.0T)

Solving for v, I get: v=4.42x10^8 m/s

However, this can't be right since it is faster than the speed of light. Is there some sort of relativistic equation I should be using to solve for the velocity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FllOnBlckDys57 said:
I am pretty sure a positive pion has a charge of 1.602E-19 C and a negative pion has an opposite charge.
Correct. Charge comes in a standard size.
However, this can't be right since it is faster than the speed of light. Is there some sort of relativistic equation I should be using to solve for the velocity?
It is always good to apply a sanity check to your answers, as you did.

Since this is relativistic, you should use momentum in your calculations, and then get the velocity from that. Start with [itex]F = qvB[/itex] and remember the definition of force: [itex]F = dp/dt \approx \Delta p/\Delta t[/itex].

Related to Conservation of relativistic momentum and energy

1. What is the conservation of relativistic momentum and energy?

The conservation of relativistic momentum and energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the sum of the momentum and energy of all the particles in a system before and after an interaction must be the same.

2. How does this principle apply to relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles, such as those moving at speeds close to the speed of light, have a special relationship between their energy and momentum due to the theory of relativity. The conservation of relativistic momentum and energy takes into account this relationship and ensures that it holds true for all interactions involving relativistic particles.

3. What are some real-life examples of the conservation of relativistic momentum and energy?

One example is in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and collide with each other. The total energy and momentum of the particles before and after the collision must be conserved. Another example is in nuclear reactions, where the energy and momentum of the particles involved must also be conserved.

4. Is the conservation of relativistic momentum and energy always true?

Yes, the conservation of relativistic momentum and energy is a fundamental law of physics and is always true in a closed system. However, in certain cases, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields, it may appear that the law is violated. This is due to the effects of general relativity, which modifies the relationship between energy and momentum in these extreme conditions.

5. What are the implications of the conservation of relativistic momentum and energy?

The conservation of relativistic momentum and energy is a crucial principle in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles, especially at high speeds. It also has important applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear energy. Additionally, the conservation of energy is a fundamental concept in the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the behavior of energy in all systems.