Consider a circuit where 2 resistors are connected in parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of combining resistors in parallel and series in a circuit. The formula for finding the total resistance is derived from Kirchhoff's laws. However, a discrepancy arises when applying the formula to a circuit with a resistor in series. This is due to the fact that the voltage across the resistor in series depends on the currents in both loops, unlike in the case of parallel resistors. The correct formula for finding the total resistance is derived by considering two separate loops in the circuit. A diagram is provided to better explain the concept.
Oerg
This is a conceptual problem

Consider a circuit where 2 resistors are connected in parallel, which are in turn connected to another resistor in series. Let the resistance of the two resistors in parallel be [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex]. The resistance of the resistor in series is [tex]R_3[/tex]

Normally we would add the resistance like this to find the total resistance

[tex] R_{total}=R_3+\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}} [/tex]

however, this works out different when i derive the resistance of the circuit anew from kirchhoffs law which would give

[tex] R_{total}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1+R_3}+\frac{1}{R_2+R_3}} [/tex]

am i missing something? or is it wrong to apply the resistance formula in the case where there is another resistance connected in series?

Physics news on Phys.org

Show your work. How did you get your formula? Actually, the formula for parallel and series resistors are derived from Kirchhoff's laws, you should get the same result.

ehild

well if you simplify the expressions you would not get the same result, it is immediately apparent that there will be a [tex]{{R_3}^2}[/tex] term in the second expression but not in the first.

The second expression was obtained by considering 2 different loops and combining the resulting current, same as you would for the derivation of the formula for the combination of resistors in parallel.

Last edited:

Your 2 loops are: +side of voltage source -> R3 -> R1 -> - side of voltage source
and
+side voltage source -> R3 -> R2 -> - side of voltage source ?

both loops contain R3. The voltage across R3 depends on the currents of both loops.
The voltage across R3 is not equal to R3*(current in one of the loops)

If 2 loops share a voltage source, it isn't a problem, because the voltage across it is
always the same.

The picture shows your circuit.
According to Kirchhoff''s Current Law, I3=I1+I2.
According to the loop Law,
UBC+UCA=UBA, that is
E-I3R3-I1R1=0
and E-I3R3-I2R2=0.
The total current is I3, the total voltage is E, and the resultant resistance between A and B is
RAB=E/I3, and it is the same as the first formula.

ehild

Last edited:

Ahhh, you even have a diagram, I am so touched. Thanks for your effort on the forums.

I understand now, in my loop, I had assumed that the same current run throughs both resistor and that I could get the resultant current by adding up the current from the other loop. This is of course not equivalent.

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in such a way that there are multiple paths for the electric current to flow. This means that if one component fails, the current can still flow through the other paths and the circuit will continue to function.

2. How do 2 resistors in parallel affect the overall resistance of the circuit?

When 2 resistors are connected in parallel, the overall resistance of the circuit decreases. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, and the total resistance is divided among the resistors. The more resistors that are added in parallel, the lower the overall resistance will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total resistance of a parallel circuit?

The formula for calculating the total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

4. How does voltage affect a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each component. This means that if one component has a higher resistance, it will have a lower current flowing through it compared to a component with a lower resistance.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of a parallel circuit?

One example of a real-life application of a parallel circuit is a household electrical outlet. The outlets in a house are connected in parallel, which allows multiple devices to be plugged in and powered at the same time without affecting the overall voltage. If one outlet stops working, the others will still function.