Constant acceleration of skateboarder

In summary, the skateboarder travels a distance x1 when coasting down a hill for 6.00 seconds with constant acceleration and starting from rest. On a second trip down the same hill, starting from rest, he travels a distance x2 when coasting for 2.00 seconds. The ratio of x1 to x2 is 9:1.
southernbelle

Homework Statement

A skateboarder coasts down a long hill for 6.00 seconds with constant acceleration, and starting from rest, covers a distance x1. On a second trip down the same hlil starting fron rest, he coasts for 2.00 seconds, covering a distance x2. Find the ratio of x1 to x2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To me the obvious answer would be
6s to 2s, so 3 to 1.
But something tells me it's not that simple.
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums southernbelle.

Correct, it's not that simple. That 3:1 ratio would work for a constant velocity (no acceleration).

What equations do you know about that deal with constant acceleration?

I know that xf=xi +vi(t) + 1/2at^2
and
vf=vi + at

So...
x2=0 + 0t +1/2a(4) and x1=0 + 0t + 1/2a(36)
would the acceleration be -9.8 because of gravity? but I guess not because then I would get a negative answer.

Looking good, you're almost there.

You're right that acceleration is not -9.8 m/s^2, but that's okay. Try taking the ratio x1/x2, like the problem asks, and use those two expressions you got.

Okay, so it would be:

18a/2a.

So that would be 9a/a.

So vf=9a=a.
I am stuck :(

southernbelle said:
Okay, so it would be:

18a/2a.

So that would be 9a/a.

Yes, so far so good. Can you simplify that fraction,

[tex]
\frac{9a}{a}
[/tex]

So vf=9a=a.
Huh? No, that doesn't follow from anything, plus they are not asking for vf.

They are asking for the ratio of x1/x2, which you (correctly) got is 9a/a. You just need to simplify 9a/a, and then you're done.

Ooohhh! So it would just be 9:1

?

Thanks so much!

1. How does the constant acceleration of a skateboarder affect their speed?

The constant acceleration of a skateboarder will cause their speed to increase at a steady rate. This means that their speed will change by the same amount every second, resulting in a linear increase in speed over time.

2. What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a skateboarder?

The constant acceleration of a skateboarder can be affected by factors such as the force applied by the skateboarder, the mass of the skateboarder and their skateboard, and the surface on which they are skateboarding.

3. Does the constant acceleration of a skateboarder change their direction of motion?

No, the constant acceleration of a skateboarder only affects their speed, not their direction of motion. In order to change direction, the skateboarder would need to apply a force in the desired direction, resulting in a change in their velocity.

4. How is the constant acceleration of a skateboarder calculated?

The constant acceleration of a skateboarder can be calculated using the formula a = (v - u) / t, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

5. Can the constant acceleration of a skateboarder ever be negative?

Yes, the constant acceleration of a skateboarder can be negative if they are decelerating or moving in the opposite direction to their initial velocity. This would result in a decrease in speed over time.